The history of the Westshoremen

who doesnt have back issues?

[/quote

It wasn't the exact same thing as you mean, Jeff. Was for real and serious, tho. :satisfied:

I know that. but with percussionists, you have most of us with issues especially from earlier eras with heavier equipment and harnesses/slings etc

I know that. but with percussionists, you have most of us with issues especially from earlier eras with heavier equipment and harnesses/slings etc

Very true. It took years to create lightweight (realtively) instruments and carriers that were more ergonomic. I'm still unsure if they got it right. Better than 30 years ago, but still maybe not right.

Very true. It took years to create lightweight (realtively) instruments and carriers that were more ergonomic. I'm still unsure if they got it right. Better than 30 years ago, but still maybe not right.

I dont think it'll ever be right, you're wearing something that weighs 10-50 pounds off of the front of your body, while running around like a mad man

Add to that the fast it hangs out there, which increases the effect of the weight. I remember we had a huge fibreglass McCormick Tymp carrier that was supposed to transfer the weight to the hips and off the back but the whole thing was so heavy and hot the guys didn't like it.

Yeah, when I first met her she had "real" back issues, and not from carrying a 29" timpani like me! :rolleyes:

Ironically, remembering some of the things I carried throughout the years, I DON'T have back issues from that, but do have a "trick" back that goes out from bending over to pick up a feather.... :doh:

I carried a set of steel scuba tanks (two of dem) tonight down the steep hill to get to the water, then back up after my dive...THOSE BUGGERS ARE FREAKING HEAVY! Makes my 29" timp feel like nothing! (not to mention the almost 20 lbs of weight on my belt and back to get my overly buoyant butt under water :ph34r::tongue: )

Edited by Jaminbenb

I started on a 28 inch bass. oy

I remember when I got the 18 and put it on, my back sighed audibly.

Then I saw the drill at the end of Strawberry Soup Terry Martin wrote. I cursed his name for a month.

remember in 95, running at 160 bpm was new and rough. Now those kids are out there running farther and faster

I started on a 28 inch bass. oy

I remember when I got the 18 and put it on, my back sighed audibly.

Then I saw the drill at the end of Strawberry Soup Terry Martin wrote. I cursed his name for a month.

remember in 95, running at 160 bpm was new and rough. Now those kids are out there running farther and faster

Yeah...Krissy McMullen (whom I marched with in 84 & 85) said that it's just CRAZY anymore as far as BPM..

Well let's see..29" timpani, 26" timpani...12, 14, 16 Slingerland toms (with PVC bongos) then 10, 12, 14 Pearls, and 10, 12, 13 Premiers. Not TOO shabby (as far as drum corps went)

I carried the old Big Bertha that Geiger carried in a few 37th Regiment parades, that thing wasn't as bad as you'd think! (well after a 29" timpani, nothing was bad) But it was FUN to play! :devil:

I almost started on the 34. but then "Pudge" came in and said "I want the biggest drum you have"

I gladly gave it to him

I almost started on the 34. but then "Pudge" came in and said "I want the biggest drum you have"

I gladly gave it to him

I just remembered... when I started with Hershey, I was given the 16, 18, 20 tenors! :blink: (and I used two snare straps to carry them)

When I first got them the 20 had a Ludwig bass drum head on it for the first two practices until the 20 "tom" head came in at Cagnoli's! Thankfully Ted Arndt was sent to the main guard, and I got the other set of 14, 16, 18's! :thumbup: