High Altitude Drums 07/08 DSD IsoMike recording

What would really be great would be to have a standstill performance by all the corps at a high school in Indy and the Isomike could be used to record them there (outdoors). They could charge admission (DCI and IsoMike) and it could be another great event during finals week. I don't know how it would be worked out, but the sound quality of the recordings would be worth ANY inconvience. Please find some way to work this out!!!!

Sorry but I've got to respectfully disagree on the crowd aspect. Can you imagine the amount of Cell Phones, Coughing and general crowd ambience distractions on theses recordings if the stands were full, not to mention all the "Shout Outs" by people wanting to be heard on the recording. Give me a sonically pure recording of the music only without all the distractions and I'll be happy. If you want the energy of a live performance buy the Finals discs, if you want a technically pure recording buy the "IsoMike" discs.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but I've got to respectfully disagree on the crowd aspect. Can you imagine the amount of Cell Phones, Coughing and general crowd ambience distractions on theses recordings if the stands were full, not to mention all the "Shout Outs" by people wanting to be heard on the recording. Give me a sonically pure recording of the music only without all the distractions and I'll be happy. If you want the energy of a live performance buy the Finals discs, if you want a technically pure recording buy the "IsoMike" discs.

I marched with the Mark Twain Cadets. I see you were with the Squires. That really brings back some great memories!

I agree that there would be difficulties, but I was just trying to find a way to get it done. Money is the only thing that talks in these situations.

Not so fast here. Frank Dorritie did his State of the Art 3 recording in 2000, IIRC, under similar circumstances as those suggested here (finals time, BD & SCV, with a small live crowd, but sworn to silence) and it worked great. The audience cooperated. It can be done.

To get the full effect of High Altitude Drums you really need to listen to the high resolution DSD layers of this disc and do it in 4 channel. I suggest that bang for the buck the choice has to be a player called OPPO

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-83-Blu-ray-...7946&sr=1-1

Here is an Amazon link, it will also play nearly every other kind of media you can think of and this $500 OPPO has a "giant killer" reputation within audiophile circles.

Or if you have an early PlayStation3 they will play SA-CD discs and do it in multichannel via the HDMI output.

Not so fast here. Frank Dorritie did his State of the Art 3 recording in 2000, IIRC, under similar circumstances as those suggested here (finals time, BD & SCV, with a small live crowd, but sworn to silence) and it worked great. The audience cooperated. It can be done.

Anything is possible if you swear a crowd to silence but then why would you need a crowd? In a live recording the "crowd ambience" is part of the performance. If that element is taken away then the crowd basically becomes a giant acoustic baffle.

I appreciate any attempt to record a live Drum Corps as it is one of the most difficult task to accomplish successfully however I still prefer the "no crowd" approach for my ears :thumbup:

I marched with the Mark Twain Cadets. I see you were with the Squires. That really brings back some great memories!

I agree that there would be difficulties, but I was just trying to find a way to get it done. Money is the only thing that talks in these situations.

The Squires I marched in was a "B" feeder corps for the Velvet Knights, not Watkins Glen. I agree that no matter what corps you marched in there were some great memories involved.

I have long been an advocate (and recently enduser) of DSD in my recordings, and also have been a strong proponent of Ray's fine work. It is true, modern recording technology will not permit any more natural or higher resolution recordings of drum corps than what Ray et al are getting with IsoMike. I have heard the latest recording through Ray's generosity, and if you have ears and know what makes GOOD sound reproduction, you will not be disappointed.

And Ray, thanks for adding that blurb at the end of the insert about the use of compression. For some naysayers, you did well to nip it in the bud!

I really think DCI should join forces with Ray and produce a set of APDs or CDs using his setup.

You still lose a lot even going to 16bit CD, but it would be nice to have IsoMike recordings made in a controlled environment as opposed to compromises we get now (thanks to indoor acoustical nightmares).

Taking a DSD signal and then porting it to APDs (low resolution compressed audio) is akin to watching HD video on a B&W tube TV set.

Edited by hughesmr

Taking a DSD signal and then porting it to APDs (low resolution compressed audio) is akin to watching HD video on a B&W tube TV set.

Yeah, I know, CDs are a much better idea than APDs . . I just want quality outdoor recordings from DCI. :thumbup: