Basics to starting/running a drum and bugle corps

I may not be Johnny on the spot with this idea, but I think it would be a beneficial effort on the part of DCI to create a sort of How to guide fro starting a drum corps. They could poll active corps in both open and World in regards to their length of tour, # of members, # of Staff, budget history, start up history, obstacles, and suggestions to anyone starting a new drum corps along with a guide...so to speak. I mean, you have some DCI interns or volunteers work on the distribution and collection of the information. It may not be the best source for anyone starting a corps as regional differences may impact how funds are raised and local music educators reaspond to the activity and so on and it will not make sure that anyone is successful, but it seems like a helpful source of information.

There are probably plenty of reasons DCI has not already done this and why this would be criticized. Any thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may not be Johnny on the spot with this idea, but I think it would be a beneficial effort on the part of DCI to create a sort of How to guide fro starting a drum corps. They could poll active corps in both open and World in regards to their length of tour, # of members, # of Staff, budget history, start up history, obstacles, and suggestions to anyone starting a new drum corps along with a guide...so to speak. I mean, you have some DCI interns or volunteers work on the distribution and collection of the information. It may not be the best source for anyone starting a corps as regional differences may impact how funds are raised and local music educators reaspond to the activity and so on and it will not make sure that anyone is successful, but it seems like a helpful source of information.

There are probably plenty of reasons DCI has not already done this and why this would be criticized. Any thoughts?

DCI has done this and is in the process of updating it. It's a substantial collection of more than 350 pages of resources, and it was made available once again to all of the Open Class directors at the recent Las Vegas meeting.

DCI has done this and is in the process of updating it. It's a substantial collection of more than 350 pages of resources, and it was made available once again to all of the Open Class directors at the recent Las Vegas meeting.

That is good news.

The next step would be to offer this 350 page resource to more than just the Open Class directors; offer it to anyone who requests it with an interest in building a corps from the ground up like the OP suggests. It may play a factor in helping the future rise of sustainable corps (those that can endure decades of seasons and decades of students).

I think DCI does, actually - you just have to call and ask for it. (And I think you have to buy it, but honestly, if you're serious about starting a corps, then it's kind of a no-brainer purchase, you know?)

Mike

As long as the cost is not outrageous, I agree. If it is simply their cost of publishing the document, no problem. However, I've heard of some corps now charging $75-$150 just for the audition music for their camps, plus additional fees for attending the camps themselves. THAT is a little outlandish for an activity on life support.

I think DCI does, actually - you just have to call and ask for it. (And I think you have to buy it, but honestly, if you're serious about starting a corps, then it's kind of a no-brainer purchase, you know?)

Mike

Assuming the price is reasonable, this is good. Another distribution avenue would be to break it up into sections and offer it in PDF form on the website. No cost other than bandwidth usage. DCI could provide a password to control traffic.

Or, heck, what would be wrong with just releasing it to the public? I'd like to spend a day or two reading it. That'd be pretty fascinating IMO.

Assuming the price is reasonable, this is good. Another distribution avenue would be to break it up into sections and offer it in PDF form on the website. No cost other than bandwidth usage. DCI could provide a password to control traffic.

Hell, they don't even do that with the rules. Certainly gives the impression that they don't want the GP to know what the judging criteria and actual rules are. In my experience, "Major League" organizations have the rules for their activities posted on their website for everyone to view. Even BOA and USSBA have their rulebooks published on their websites.

I know a lot of corps directors and staff are usually quick to respond to questions and offer advice which has been very helpful. But having an updated source can help develop a healthy approach, especially when there are questions a new organzation may not even be aware of to ask. I know that is the case for myself. I get into a conversation, get my questions answered and leave with twice as many questions as I had before.