Mainstream Ballads

I've been listening to a lot of ballad type music (helps me sleep) and I was listening to Ben Folds' University A Cappella CD. A song called "Evaporated" came up and instantly made me think of Carolina Crown. It just has that beautiful and powerful sound that I strongly believe Crown could put out.

Anyways, what mainstream "Band group" music do you think could be pulled off and by what corps?

(Examples that have been done- Imagine by John Lennon, My Immortal by Evanescence)

Off topic, but my University's all girl a cappella chorus is on that CD.

I think the Crossmen pulled off My Immortal well, with an awesome baritone solo/duet. It's the only part of their show that made any sense, haha. I'm not knowledgeable enough of modern music like this to comment any further though.

I think the Crossmen pulled off My Immortal well, with an awesome baritone solo/duet. It's the only part of their show that made any sense, haha. I'm not knowledgeable enough of modern music like this to comment any further though.

Really? Which group? I've been listening to this CD quite frequently haha.

Ugh, drum corps has forever been disgraced by that song. I can't believe they came up with that show after having a shot at success in 08.

Man we sure do hijack a lot of threads nowadays.

On topic:

Crown played Sarah McLachlan's "Angel" in 2004

Cadets played a Bjork song in '05

Bluecoats "played" Fiona Apple's "Criminal" in '07 (still haven't figured out where in the show that is)

Cadets played Moondance in '01.

Bluecoats played "One Day I'll Fly Away" in 04.

Crossmen played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in '03 (then Both Sides Now in '04, then So Far Away in '05).

Madison played Alanis Morrisette's "Uninvited" in '07.

Obviously Spirit played Kansas this year (and "Hide and Seek" in '07).

Point is, a lot of corps play "Mainstream" ballads. I'm not really sure which ones (if any) I want to see in the future. I really just want someone to play "Prayer (Oh Doctor Jesus)" from Porgy and Bess (the Miles Davis arrangement).

In 2008 Citations played My Immortal. And it may not be mainstream exactly, but in 2009 the corps played the Josh Groban version of Starry Starry Night.

I had to check a list to remind me of a lot of rock ballads lol :thumbup: but here are some that I know have been played some that haven't but all that would be good I think:

Imagine - John Lennon

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

Let It Be - The Beatles

Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers

I Don't Want to Miss a Thing - Aerosmith

Dream On - Aerosmith

Somebody to Love - Queen

Your Song - Elton John

Some of those might not actually translate as well as I think into drum corps but who knows till you try, right? :thumbup:

"Can't get it Wrong" and "June" by Spock's Beard would make good ballads for any corps.

I also think that in a very talented arranger's hands, the Jeff Buckley verison of "Hallelujah" could make for a fantastic ballad.

Unfortunately, I think ballads as we know them are going the way of the Dodo.