The Beatles

It's probably for copyright reasons. If I remember correctly, the year Kiwanis did an entire Beatles show they got taken off the DCI DVDs completely. Can anyone confirm that?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiwanis Kavaliers

1990 - Eleanor Rigby * Norwegian * Golden Slumbers * You Never Give Me Your Money * And In The End

1991 - A Tribute to the Beatles - *Yesterday * I Want To Hold Your Hand * Michelle * Eleanor Rigby * Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds * Fool on the Hill Amazon * Golden Slumbers

2003 - All You Need is Love: The Music of The Beatles - Hey Jude* Eleanor Rigby * The Long and Winding Road * Michelle Amazon * Norwegian Wood * Octopus' Garden * Oh! Darling * The End

All very good years for Kavs.

My understanding is that issue is recording rights, not the actual performance rights. This is why Kiwanis wasn't on the DVD's.

Technically, it's the synchronization rights that weren't granted. The mechanical license (recording) was granted as they are on the CDs.

From the BOA website:

Synchronization licensing required:

Bands that choose to perform compositions by the following composers/copyright owners MUST ALSO SUBMIT WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE COPYRIGHT OWNER AUTHORIZING BANDS OF AMERICA OR ITS DESIGNEE TO VIDEORECORD THE WORK AND TO REPRODUCE AND DISTRIBUTE UP TO 1,000 COPIES OF THE RECORDING OF YOUR PERFORMANCE.

Your band will be solely responsible for paying the costs associated with obtaining these permissions/licenses, including the payment of any license fees or royalties. Proof of permission/license must be submitted to BOA by August 1. * Below is a list of the songs, composers, and publishers that for which BOA requires this additional step for participation:

Composers (all works):

Robert Lamm

James Pankow

Prince

John Lennon

Composers (specific works):

Björk (Joga and The Anchor Song)

Paul McCartney (songs performed by The Beatles)

Bruce Springsteen (Born In The USA)

Publishers (collections, in their entirety):

Arc Music Group, including Goodman Music, Conrad Music, Sunflower Music, Jewel Music, Regent Music

Publishers (specific works):

Paramount Pictures (specifically music including the Mission: Impossible Theme, music from Forrest Gump and The Godfather (entire series of movies). If you choose to perform songs from other Paramount Pictures movies, please contact BOA as soon as possible so that we may confirm that licensing is available and appropriate for BOA.

Other Restricted Compositions:

Music from any James Bond movie, regardless of publisher

Music from any Paramount Pictures movie as stated above, regardless of publisher

Any Beatles song written by John Lennon or Paul McCartney (see above)

The song "Hotel California" (by The Eagles)

The song Break on Through (and other songs by Jim Morrison)

Music from the Disney Pirates of the Caribbean movies

"Brazil (Main Title)" by Michael Kamen

"Barbarian Horde," "The Battle," and "Progeny" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

"Sweet Home Chicago" by Woody Payne

*In some cases, the songs listed above were included because the copyright owner has already advised Bands of America that they are not willing to grant video synchronization rights for marching band videos.

Technically, it's the synchronization rights that weren't granted. The mechanical license (recording) was granted as they are on the CDs.

From the BOA website:

Synchronization licensing required:

Bands that choose to perform compositions by the following composers/copyright owners MUST ALSO SUBMIT WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE COPYRIGHT OWNER AUTHORIZING BANDS OF AMERICA OR ITS DESIGNEE TO VIDEORECORD THE WORK AND TO REPRODUCE AND DISTRIBUTE UP TO 1,000 COPIES OF THE RECORDING OF YOUR PERFORMANCE.

Your band will be solely responsible for paying the costs associated with obtaining these permissions/licenses, including the payment of any license fees or royalties. Proof of permission/license must be submitted to BOA by August 1. * Below is a list of the songs, composers, and publishers that for which BOA requires this additional step for participation:

Composers (all works):

Robert Lamm

James Pankow

Prince

John Lennon

Composers (specific works):

Björk (Joga and The Anchor Song)

Paul McCartney (songs performed by The Beatles)

Bruce Springsteen (Born In The USA)

Publishers (collections, in their entirety):

Arc Music Group, including Goodman Music, Conrad Music, Sunflower Music, Jewel Music, Regent Music

Publishers (specific works):

Paramount Pictures (specifically music including the Mission: Impossible Theme, music from Forrest Gump and The Godfather (entire series of movies). If you choose to perform songs from other Paramount Pictures movies, please contact BOA as soon as possible so that we may confirm that licensing is available and appropriate for BOA.

Other Restricted Compositions:

Music from any James Bond movie, regardless of publisher

Music from any Paramount Pictures movie as stated above, regardless of publisher

Any Beatles song written by John Lennon or Paul McCartney (see above)

The song "Hotel California" (by The Eagles)

The song Break on Through (and other songs by Jim Morrison)

Music from the Disney Pirates of the Caribbean movies

"Brazil (Main Title)" by Michael Kamen

"Barbarian Horde," "The Battle," and "Progeny" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

"Sweet Home Chicago" by Woody Payne

*In some cases, the songs listed above were included because the copyright owner has already advised Bands of America that they are not willing to grant video synchronization rights for marching band videos.

I thought Micheal Jackson's (now estate) owns the rights to most of the Beatles songs ?

How sad that composers and publishers would deny corps the right to play their music. I learned a lot of various kinds of literature from being introduced to it by drum corps arrangements. That caused me to go purchase copies of the original arrangement/composition as well..... Can you say "cutting your nose off to spite your face"??

I thought Micheal Jackson's (now estate) owns the rights to most of the Beatles songs ?

Sony/ATV Music Publishing owns the publishing rights to all of the Lennon-McCartney Beatles songs except for the first four singles and George Harrison's songs published after 1968. At the time of his death, Michael Jackson owned 50% of Sony/ATV; the other 50% owned by Sony. However, the copyrights still belong to Lennon's estate and Paul McCartney.

The only original Beatles' songs' publishing rights that might not be owned by Sony/ATV are "Here Comes the Sun" and "I Me Mine" as they were written by George Harrison in 1969.

I'm very surprised to see Jimmy Pankow and Robert Lamm on this list. They are huge supporters of music programs in our schools.

Geneseo Knights played an awesome version of Eleanor Rigby in 1981. I have it on cassette somewhere...

Interesting to see that "The Godfather" and the James Bond films are also on that list...both programs that have been done, and very well, within this decade....apparently, rights CAN be obtained, just not easily/inexpensively. :cool: