VK soprano question

trptjock

Back in the late 80's-early 90's VK were marching a soprano bugle (two valved) that had a shepherds crook on the bell. I have not seen any other hornline use this make of horn ever and wondered if an alumnus of VK could lend some insight to the horn. It looks like a Kanstul (from the appearance from the other horns in the line) but it is hard to tell. Were these custom horns made for VK only? The years in question were 87-91. I may be off on one or two of those years, but I do remember seeing a shepherds crook soprano in the line, especially with some of the soprano soloists in closeup shots.

Please advise.

Thanks

Uhhhhh....I sure wish I could answer this because I was there, but I don't remember. But for some reason, and I don't know why, but I keep thinking Getzen.

But I do know that we had a conglameration of horns--Kings, DEGS, Kanstuls, a couple of old chrome bumpers....

Zig Kanstul used VK as sort of a "proving ground" for a lot of his horns, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were either Kings or Kanstuls (not sure when he left King).

Way "back in the day" when P/R was the way to go, Kanstul was at Olds and developed the legendary Ultratone line. Sometime during the 2v era he went to King and worked there until they stopped producing bugles, I think around the time they legalized 3v horns. Then he started his own company, the horns of which are basically improved copies of the old Kings.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that the one a friend had was a Getzen.

BTW, Ray, nice job on your solos in '91, definately the best of that year.

Edited by ravedodger

BTW, Ray, nice job on your solos in '91, definately the best of that year.

Thanks for the compliment Dave. Which solo do you mean, the Pagliacci solo or the I&E solo? Either one was a great pleasure for me to have the opportunity to play. As a rookie, I was on thin ice getting a feature solo with a corps of such tradition and nostalgia. Very intimidating time, but fun none the less. Trust me the pressure was on once we hit the field finals night. I had never played the solo flawlessly the entire summer and some members of the hornline let me know it (being a rookie) The one time I did "nail" it was the Natchitoches Louisiana show the week before DCI, and the show where we beat the Cavaliers. Anyway, fast forward a week and there are the lights, the audience, my parents, the TV crew, the cameras. Not to mention I was originally from Texas anyway, kind of a homecoming of sorts. Then the rest is history, for the most part. I wish I could do it all over again and play it better on finals night. If you listen closely, I get a nice fat double buzz on one note before the "Dubba B" at the end of the solo. On the video, you can hear it there to, its after I finished the first part of the solo and spun my horn as I moved to the front sideline behind the pit for round two. Well sweat mixed with saliva from the horn didn't mix too well and I got that. Its kinda nasty, but I played the "Dubba B". Great crowd response and the feeling was aboslutely amazing.

But that was 12 years ago, and I was a little punk kid from Texas who had high chops.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Martay!!! Yep, you got it right. Kanstul. In fact we have resurected one of those sops within our Senior corps, SoCal Dream, this year. If you want to check it out and you're in the area, come on down. All the info is on our website. :)

Dave Emmond

Edited by FYWW

Marty Bassett

'88-'90 Pacific Sound

Oh my, GAWD! You're probably the only person on this board who would admit to being in Pacific Sound! I was part of the original group that formed it...served as corps historian, then director after Randy McCray left...kept it alive on paper long enough for a new group of people to come in and actually get a corps on the field (under the name Earthquake) for a year or two.

What did you do in Pacific Sound??