Madison's 2010 Uniform

Yeah, that's why you never wanted to get stuck between 2 tall guys, you always looked like a slacker if you had "low knees".

By the by, I got a PM with some more names so have them all (almost): starting at the left Freddy (need last name), Marty Mason (Jim's "little brother"), Scott Beckman, Tony King, Brad Sherer & Todd Ryan.

Mike, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the guy to Scott B.'s left is NOT Marty Mason. I know who this guy is, but I cant remember his name (if I had a roster, I could tell you). Marty was definitely shorter then Todd Ryan.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the guy to Scott B.'s left is NOT Marty Mason. I know who this guy is, but I cant remember his name (if I had a roster, I could tell you). Marty was definitely shorter then Todd Ryan.

RON LUCE!!!!!

cool1-77.jpg

This is Ron on the far right during Concert in 77, see how tall he is?

ronluce1976.jpg

This is from the "Old School" Pic before it was posterized

Edited by Scerpella

76madsopcopy.jpg

An Iconic Madison Pic, Spats dont seem to be any problem here!

OK, for what its worth in the iconic old school photo from 1976 (unofficially of course)

Left to right: Fred Bell, Ron Luce, Scott Beckman, Tony King, Brad Sherer and Todd Ryan.

Now I won't feel like such an ### when I'm asked who's in the "old school photo" that was taken in a year I marched.

Edited by bass5

OK, for what its worth in the iconic old school photo from 1976 (unofficially of course)

Left to right: Fred Bell, Ron Luce, Scott Beckman, Tony King, Brad Sherer and Todd Ryan.

Not I won't feel like such an ### when I'm asked who's in the "old school photo" that was taken in a year I marched.

Can't be Fred Bell.......Freddie Bell first marched with Madison at the beginning of the 78' season (just camps), but then quit and went back home to march with the Guardsmen in Schuamberg, IL (he was Guardsmen's screamer for several years). I know this because Clearance Johnson (CJ) and I took a personal road trip to an early season show somewhere in Northern IL to try to talk him out of his decision.....our efforts fell short. Fred Bell came back to march with the Scouts in 79'.....but sadly, that was the only season he marched with us......Fred was one of the most talented, natural "screamers" I've ever encountered......What a sound!

Edited by Mad75

RON LUCE!!!!!

cool1-77.jpg

This is Ron on the far right during Concert in 77, see how tall he is?

ronluce1976.jpg

This is from the "Old School" Pic before it was posterized

And notice Chris Metzger playing to the worms and his elbows at his side! TYPICAL!!!!!

And notice Chris Metzger playing to the worms and his elbows at his side! TYPICAL!!!!!

Too funny. Did he break that habbit when we did the Alumni Project?

I was always way too far backfield to notice.

Too funny. Did he break that habbit when we did the Alumni Project?

I was always way too far backfield to notice.

Yea Jeff, this might sound a little harsh because I have all the respect in the world for Chris M. and really looked up to him as I was moving up through the ranks. But latter on in life, Chris shed the whole "screamer" persona and decided that technique is where it's at. He tossed his trademark "Jettone" mouthpiece (that just happened to be bent at a 35 degree angle so he didn't have to "physically" point his horn towards the box....at least, that's what those around him used as reasoning to harass him!) and has really become a classically proficient horn player. As you may, or may not know, Chris is still an active trumpeter in the area and I believe he teaches horn/band as well. Regarding your question to his participation in the Alumni Project......By this point in life, you could tell that Chris had become and entirely different musician. Perfect posture and perfect technique. He's to the other end of the spectrum now.....It's all about being a technically perfect trumpeter with silky, full tone........And, no more high notes!

Here's to you Chris....... :cool:

Edited by Mad75

Can't be Fred Bell.......Freddie Bell first marched with Madison at the beginning of the 78' season (just camps), but then quit and went back home to march with the Guardsmen in Schuamberg, IL (he was Guardsmen's screamer for several years). I know this because Clearance Johnson (CJ) and I took a personal road trip to an early season show somewhere in Northern IL to try to talk him out of his decision.....our efforts fell short. Fred Bell came back to march with the Scouts in 79'.....but sadly, that was the only season he marched with us......Fred was one of the most talented, natural "screamers" I've ever encountered......What a sound!

Well my PM source apparently had it wrong. 5 out of 6 isn't bad though.

So we're still searching for the name of the guy on the far left - a vertically challenged lead sop.

Someone say Old School?

UNTITLED14.jpg

UNTITLED11.jpg

Man, I loved that show.

Well my PM source apparently had it wrong. 5 out of 6 isn't bad though.

So we're still searching for the name of the guy on the far left - a vertically challenged lead sop.

Yea, sorry Mike, we're so close yet so far away! I wish we had a better picture! There's some in the past that have tried to convince me that "this" individual is actually me....I don't think so!......we'll figure it out though! (maybe I should get some work done instead?)......I think it's a first sop. from down South. I can picture the guy, and I can hear his voice in my pea brain.....but no name! By the way, I think your PM source is the same as mine. "J.M." PM'd me last night with the same info....I sent him a nice response back.