Whats the typically note range for trumpets in world class?

Alright. Thanks to everybody for your replies :D

This is good news since I def. didn't plan on playing the lead part....I'm only 16 years old, but my tone quality, breathing technique, and marching Is all (From what I've been told by judges and directors) very superior for my age. I still fill somewhat Intimidated going up with collage kids though. Oh well it never hurt to try, I'll still try out and if I don't make it then theres always next year :)

Thats pretty much the spirit. Now go do it :cool:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright. Thanks to everybody for your replies :D

This is good news since I def. didn't plan on playing the lead part....I'm only 16 years old, but my tone quality, breathing technique, and marching Is all (From what I've been told by judges and directors) very superior for my age. I still fill somewhat Intimidated going up with collage kids though. Oh well it never hurt to try, I'll still try out and if I don't make it then theres always next year :)

May I suggest starting open class? There is a great brotherly atmosphere there in any corps you join and its easier on high school and younger students wallets and schoolwork.

Raiders are a great corps.

May I suggest starting open class? There is a great brotherly atmosphere there in any corps you join and its easier on high school and younger students wallets and schoolwork.

Raiders are a great corps.

Yes, I suggest what he siad, too. I always tell people who are interested in marching drum corps to think about starting in Open Class, espically if they're younger like you (15-17 years old). That way, you can see ahead of time if you like marching drum corps, you get some experience in marching drum corps, you'll see other (World Class) drum corps up close and maybe decide to try out at another one, or just decide that you like Crossmen more. And, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with staying with the Open Class corps untill you age-out. That's what I did; I marched in Div. 3/Open Class for eight seasons, aged-out this past summer from Open Class, and I don't regret it at all. And I know the other five age-outs from my corps don't regret it either. Just make sure that what ever you decide to do, it's what you actually want to do.

[/speech]

As far as the range for a World Class trumpet player, I honestly couldn't tell you exactly (since I was in the front ensemble in drum corps, plus I don't even play a brass instrument at all (but I do play saxophone as well)). But just about everyone has said so far seems about correct: just as long as you have good-very good tone quality, pitch, and breathing, instructors don't care too much about how you can play, they usually know that comes with time. I think that just as long as you can play up to a high C to a high E, I think you should be fine. (And not to worry you even more, but I think that if the instructors do care how high you can play, they might also care about how low you can play as well, depending on what the show is going to do. Like I said, I don't know this for a fact, so don't go exactly off what I say, but it's just better to be over prepaired then under prepaired.)

But good luck at the audintions! :cool:

Okay, I will! :D

Do you have any idea how common it is for a high school kid to make a corps like the Crossmen though?

in general, the further down you go in the rankings, the more high school kids you will find. I bet Crossmen had a bunch last year, probably at least 20 in the horn line, and maybe more. If you are a top quality high school player and marcher, you will have a fair shot. Go ready to learn and if they tell you to work on something between camps, make sure you come back the next time showing that improvement.

I played upper lead where I marched, I have range up to a double C.

We had a couple kids playing third who could get to double G's easy.

It matters less about how high can you play, but more about how well can you play up there, and what's your endurance up there. Work on getting a good tone quality from the bottom to the top of your range and you should be just fine. Also, between camps work on improving. I'm sure regardless of what corps you go to, they will look for you to improve from camp to camp.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me, and good luck!

Thats pretty much the spirit. Now go do it :w00t:

Exactly ! Just do it, you will create memories that last a lifetime, no matter WHO you march with ! :cool:

No offense, but you're getting a lot of bad advice in this thread. The C's, E's, G's aren't the proper response. Neither is the tone, breathing and nearly everything else you've been told.

What matters is you shouldn't be cutting yourself. Nobody should cut himself/herself based on speculation about what notes others have played or what any corps might expect. So what if this line or that played C or G. The fact is you can't know if you're the right player for the corps if you never audition. You don't know what qualities they're looking for that you might possess. Improve you range, your tone, your breathing or anything else you want to. But don't make the decision yourself whether any aspect of your ablility is suitable; that's someone else's job.

It's a lesson you should apply throughout your life. The only - only - way to know if you're qualified is if you apply.

HH