So who all here is auditioning for a corps this year?

Despite my tardiness, I'll show up in Austin on Nov. 21.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So This summer will be my first time marching in DCI since 2005, Is there anything I should know that I have missed? lol

I'm going to be driving up to SC for the Crown Camp. It's my age out year, but what does a corps usually go through when they think of who to pick?

(Rookie Age out with experience/ Rookie with Experience and so on) Do you think me being a Rook out will effect them that much in their decision even though the top 3 normally have the most amount of ageouts to begin with?

Its also hard going to a program where the the vast majority of the kids care a whole lot, but just aren't good... and they don't realize it. I tried to help them realize that they have a lot to work on. Sometimes it wasn't very constructive and ultimately I hurt some feelings. I didn't give respect to a VERY good set of directors. One of the best teams on staff I've seen in a while, and I blew them off like they couldn't possibly know what needed to happen.

The best way to NOT do those things is to mentally separate Drum Corps and Marching Band. If you think of them as the same, then you'll expect the same things! You just have to understand that there is a vastly different way of teaching and learning in marching band versus the DCI world.

Thanks guys for all of this information. I already know MB and Drum Corps are whole different worlds, and I may just schedule a meeting with my band director and talk one-on-one about me marching over the summer. I will definitely have to assure her that I won't come back a total db, and that I'll just shut my mouth and let the staff do what they are payed for...which, honestly, may be hard at times because there are a lot of those "I don't care" people in my band :rolleyes:

Wish me luck in convincing her.

Congrats, enjoy! Make sure Katie Rozacky doesn't talk too much... :rolleyes:

LOL, I'd be surprised if you can GET Katie Rozacky to talk.

So This summer will be my first time marching in DCI since 2005, Is there anything I should know that I have missed? lol

I'm going to be driving up to SC for the Crown Camp. It's my age out year, but what does a corps usually go through when they think of who to pick?

(Rookie Age out with experience/ Rookie with Experience and so on) Do you think me being a Rook out will effect them that much in their decision even though the top 3 normally have the most amount of ageouts to begin with?

I am pretty sure they mentioned that if there are two equal candidates and one of them is an age out, they'll probably go with the ageout.

My son will once again be traveling to Concord, CA this Thanksgiving weekend to audition for the 2010 Blue Devils!!

ps .. He'll also be picking up his 2009 Championship ring! (what can I say .. I'm still a VERY proud Blue Devils Dad!!!) :rolleyes: