The Green Machine or SCV

Is anyone else a little "irked" by threads like this? They're really nothing more than ego-centric fishing expeditions. I mean, don't you already know what corps you like? Their style? Their approach? If you're TRULY undecided, then pick one, sheesh. Then march the other one in 2011.

What happened to the days when a corps a pulled so strongly at one's heart, that it was OBVIOUS? Maybe some realities prevent the obvious, then fine, march some corps that's local, regardless of class/placement, until you're in a position to march with the OBVIOUS.

These threads are lost on me.

Back in those 'days' it was more common to march a local corps.

Besides, he's in middle school. Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion on things.

Maybe you need a cup of coffee and a cigarette to relax.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, im a junior in high school also down here in murfreesboro Tn at siegel high school. (undefeated)(sorry had to throw that in there) anyways we have NashCorp and music city legends around, but alot of us look toward Crown because they are the closet world class other than spirit (yuck). Anyways lets say NashCorp gets into world class and is in the top 12, then alot of my friends and I would go there because its close and your still in the elite. If you look at it from that perspective. Though at my high school its predominatly Phantom because we had a sparticus tuba player from here, but you also have a few Crown fans like myself. Like I said go for a local corps if its in the elite before you go off to some distant far away land full of green machines and feather heads :thumbup: Though unless you know your good enough to go off and make something as good as those you mention. Like I said thats what I would personally...still need a job to make money to do corps.....Thats just my tired and educated guess at the moment. goodnight.

Wow! A junior in an UNDEFEATED high school marching band from the great and soviergn state of Tennesee! I'm sure that people like Wayne Downey and Jack Meehan are just going to be bowled over by those kind of credentials. {Sarcasim Off} When you audition for a corps you're going to run into people who come from nowhere and everywhere, who give their best to be the best and some of them are going to be a lot better than you. You can bet the ranch on it. Playing in a high school band is one thing. Trying to hang with a 20 or 21 year-old college music major is a different matter entirely. Well...nevermind...if you pursue it you'll find out soon enough. Good luck.

Wow! A junior in an UNDEFEATED high school marching band from the great and soviergn state of Tennesee! I'm sure that people like Wayne Downey and Jack Meehan are just going to be bowled over by those kind of credentials. {Sarcasim Off} When you audition for a corps you're going to run into people who come from nowhere and everywhere, who give their best to be the best and some of them are going to be a lot better than you. You can bet the ranch on it. Playing in a high school band is one thing. Trying to hang with a 20 or 21 year-old college music major is a different matter entirely. Well...nevermind...if you pursue it you'll find out soon enough. Good luck.

Who is Jack Meehan?

heeeheeeheee

So true. no ones gonna care a bit about how good your marching band is. some of the best marchers and players i know come from the middle of nowhere. if you don't make the corps you want, MARCH SOMEWHERE ELSE. the best thing to prepare you for drum corps, is drum corps.

Jesus, have you marched anywhere previously? If this is your first audition, be prepared to be rejected if you go to any former championship corps or Crown. Sorry, that's just a reality. If I have the opportunity to choose between a high school junior from a decent Colorado marching band and someone who marched in, say, Blue Knights, I take the BK vet every time and twice on Sunday.

Whichever corps you choose to audition for know that you are auditioning for two of the best organizations in the activity. But also know that well over the number of spots they have to offer will have 4 times as many as could fill the corps there to compete for them. Heck, its not unheard of for returning vets to be turned away.

IF..and I do mean if...IF you are rejected by whichever corps you audition for, walk away from that experience having achieved something that most people don't ever pursue. Auditioning for top corps is a pretty big deal these days. Then go audition for Blue Knights or Troopers. If you are rejected there, don't view it as a judgment, they just have a whole bunch of people auditioning there, too. People want to march in Finals, not so much for the show as for the experience of marching in that calibre of ensemble.

Then you go audition at Scouts, Crossmen, Mandarins, Cascades, Crusaders and do that for a year, then try again.

That all being said, SCV has one distinguishing advantage you will want to consider: SCVCadets! If you don't make SCV, which is likely, ask if they would consider you for the B corps. Remember, SCVCadets won DCI Open Class in 2008 and both SCVC and BDB placed higher than Jersey Surf and Teal Sound the last two years--both of those corps are now moving up to or in World Class. SCVC would be a GREAT experience for you, and a great way for you to get your introduction to DCI in a world class organization, perform with members more your age (instead of 3-4 years older), and ingratiate yourself to the staff for auditions next year.

That's not to say that next year would be a given--you still have to work your BUTT off just to make a corps this year.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck in your decision. Both are great organizations and you would do well auditioning for either.

This is right on the mark.

Jesus, please don't be offended, but you come off as a bit naive, while also sounding like a young man excited to venture into an exciting new world. A lot of us (old timers) envy you.

As Silvertrombone mentioned, I'd seriously consider SCVC. We're from Wisconsin, and my son marched two seasons with Pioneer (04-05), but his heart led him to audition for SCV, even though he was easily within 100 miles of several finalists corps. At the time, he was an above average, strong trumpet player, and a terribly strong marcher, but he was only 15 on audition day (he would be 16 years old 2 weeks later), he was also very mature for his age. He did well in the audition, but predictably, age was a factor. However, as mentioned, the Vanguard organization had a place for someone just like him.

Without question, he could easily have marched with a variety of closer-to-home, "up-and-coming" world class corps, but he ended up accepting a position with SCVC in 2006, and loved every moment of his season. Though he went on to make the Vanguard A-Corps the following year, he felt himself to be every part of that entire organization as a member of SCVC. They nurtured him and made him feel wanted, as well as like he belonged there... for the long haul (He's still marching Vanguard, with two years left). He also learned that... as they say, when it comes to Santa Clara, "You don't choose Vanguard, Vanguard chooses you."

If you don't audition for a more local corps in Colorado, I'd say that you're primed for a great experience and learning opportunity with SCVC... they're an outstanding corps, and an integral part of the Vanguard legacy. If you try it, you'll see that I'm right about that. Plus, if you decide to spend a season with them, your vision for your future marching years will likely be much clearer.

Well, here's the sarcastic THAT GUY response:

If you like to see girls every day during the summer, then go to SCV. If you don't care about that, then try both. No harm in that!

(Femine-project guy off)

Honestly, these guys on here have given you lots of great advice. I auditioned at a corps in 07 and had a spot with them, but just didn't like the environment so I didn't march that year. I went to my current corps now and had 2 amazing seasons there. As someone said, each corps personality HAS to fit yours. And if it does, then you know you've found your match. Just practice your butt off and be as positive and courteous as you can.. and yes, unless you just won BOA, they're not going to care what hs you went to.

And don't be shy about auditioning a lil later jn life too. When I went in 08, I hadn't marched and played in 3 yrs. Anything is possible if you find a way to standout to the staff as someone they'll remember, in a good way.

And its CORPS not CORP

or corpse or corpses :thumbup: