How tough is the audition music typically, for a corps like the Crossm

Lawlz

:tongue:

Well, I didn't mean it like THAT... LOL :devil:

I meant more like: "COUNT on having to practice the audition music if you plan on making it. And if you're concerned, then bust out the basic workbooks you have NOW and get to really "practicing" all the stuff you blew off when you were supposed to be practicing it... because we all know we all did blow it off when we should have been taking it slowly and working it all out because it was boring to do that.

:rolleyes:

why would you practice slowly? it's way more effective to practice things at tempo repeatedly until you get it, even if you aren't even close. You just need more repetitions. :devil:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I'm really not trying to sound like a dick here, but stop posting your questions about auditions on DCP and go practice. What does it matter how hard it is? If you really want to make The Crossmen, you'll get the audition music, you'll practice your ### off no matter how hard it is and go audition. The tone of your posts sound like your trying to take the path of least resistance to get a spot and that is not what drum corps is about. Be prepared to work. Be prepared to be in pain. Drum corps is hard.

Nut up, son.

More than likely the audition book you get after registration is a collection of basic brass technique exercises: lip slurs, articulations and the like. When I auditioned you selected your own etudes to play for them.

why would you practice slowly? it's way more effective to practice things at tempo repeatedly until you get it, even if you aren't even close. You just need more repetitions. :tongue:

Nah... disagree. But practice is a very "individual" thing... I guess. Whatever works for you...

I think you need to break it down and get the mechanics of it all first. I am a drummer in case that explains a difference in philosophy...

Ok. I'm really not trying to sound like a dick here, but stop posting your questions about auditions on DCP and go practice. What does it matter how hard it is? If you really want to make The Crossmen, you'll get the audition music, you'll practice your ### off no matter how hard it is and go audition. The tone of your posts sound like your trying to take the path of least resistance to get a spot and that is not what drum corps is about. Be prepared to work. Be prepared to be in pain. Drum corps is hard.

Nut up, son.

This is really more appropriately EXACTLY what I meant in my posts... :rolleyes:

It does seem like a lot of people want the spot withOUT the effort... meanwhile the person next to you covers for you the whole year and hates marching next to you...

Nah... disagree. But practice is a very "individual" thing... I guess. Whatever works for you...

I think you need to break it down and get the mechanics of it all first. I am a drummer in case that explains a difference in philosophy...

no you are 100% right... i was just joking. But... a lot of people do think like what I posted. If you watch/hear some people practice, they practice a lick over and over and over at full speed when they aren't even close to getting it, instead of slowing it down and working their way back up to it. It's like an exercise in futility.

Oh! :rolleyes: thanks for clarifying. It's funny, I was typing my response to you, talking to myself saying "OK, well knock yourself out mr I don't have a clue what I'm playing, it just sounds right..." :tongue:

Man I suck at getting jokes just like the ones I make... ironic, isn't it? :devil:

This is really more appropriately EXACTLY what I meant in my posts... :rolleyes:

It does seem like a lot of people want the spot withOUT the effort... meanwhile the person next to you covers for you the whole year and hates marching next to you...

AND THESE are the people the Crossmen DO NOT want. yup....

If you have any questions, the facebook group is a good place.

People have made corps playing "Happy Birthday" as their etude. Play well. Play with good tone. Play in tune. Play full. That's about all you need to do to make 95% of DCI corps. Leave the 16th notes for the show (or, if you play tuba or euph, not at all). Too many people freak about about drum corps auditions thinking "I need to play by B# natural harmonic minor scale in 16th notes at 200 bpm or I'll get cut" or "I need to play this 7/8 lip slur up to triple C in dotted sixteenth notes at 180" and come to the audition sounding like s*** on everything, even the easy stuff. If you can play a simple lip slur and sound absolutely immaculate on it, you'll seriously increase the odds of you being accepted into a corps. At the worst, you'll get a call back, and they'll ask you to demonstrate your technical ability more next time. Play something simple, and play it perfect.