High School Copies

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that would be an idiotic sentiment and one I don't share

It allocation of resources – and I think public funds should be put towards the more academic pursuits or vocational pursuits as a better investment for society. We do have several vocational high schools in the city even had some vocational programs in my high school – those got you ready for a paying job….so that you can pay taxes.

I’m just not convinced of the value or the return for the money that is dumped into band programs, more so after having sat in those band programs. I would support a pay to play model – on your own time. I feel the same about sports, theatre and other activities too (but not physical education which I think is necessary). Actually, theatre at my school was on your own time and you had to pay to participate, it was not treated as ‘a real class’ – it was a good model, weeded out the window lickers, they had a higher standard and it didn’t waste school funds

If you feel that high school music programs (and other arts programs, and sports, or whatever) should be cut then you share that sentiment de facto, because such a move would deny music education to millions of children in this country without the money, the willing parents, and the geographical good fortune to pursue other means. And again, it would mean the death of drum corps -- there is absolutely no arguing this point -- and would have dire effects throughout the entire art world which would be felt for decades.

The meager funds allocated to these activities (and let's also not forgot that these sorts of programs produce a large percentage of their funding themselves) would have little impact if diverted to the academic side of things. It would be a drop in the bucket. Little gain would be had and irreparable harm would be done. Sure there are uninspired teachers and window lickers in the arts, but they're there in all subjects, including many of limited utility when it comes to practical knowledge and producing tax revenue (and if you think that's the primary purpose of education, I'm sorry). I don't know where you live or whose band classes you sat in on, but likely as not you probably saw what you wanted to see, and not what was really there. The good by far outweighs the bad in high school arts programs.

For whatever reason there's just something about a bunch of teenagers doing something in their spare time that vaguely resembles drum corps -- and loving it -- that really, really irritates some supposedly grown-up drum corps veterans. I've never quite understood why that is, but even the most obdurate and childish drum corps fanatics understand the essential role high school music plays (even though many resent the fact) and know the consequences of these programs going away. Sadly enough, the possibility of high school music programs disappearing is more real than we may think.

Williamstown HS during their final number. You may recognize 92 Velvet Knights.

Adair County [2nd place in 3A] doing their version of Niagara Falls

Hart County, my alma mater, taking a stab at 1000 Airplanes on a Roof

talk about a great HS band program, imo. Tim Allen did great things with them over the years (now at 17 State Championships). I especially love the '99 show.

Edited by chaos001

All too often, too much time and energy in high school band is spent baby sitting the window lickers and spazes – it’s a real turn off and a waste

funny. Lots of time in English/history/science class is spent dealing with disruptions too. Maybe we should cut them.

Maybe what we need to do is separate kids in 2nd or 3rd grade. All the smart ones can have access to good teachers and classes. Then, the other 90% of the kids can learn how to collect trash so they are valuable to society. Why does a garbage man need to learn about history of physics or be able to write an essay? All wasted resources.

What drum corps show is that? I have no recollection of that being performed anywhere, nor do I recognize the music.

Just the 2nd and 4th movement, Phantom 03.

Paul Laurence Dunbar high school is doing the Crossmen 09 show this year minus My Immortal. Same write, almost same arrangement. I'm not too sure where they're from though.

Paul Laurence Dunbar high school is doing the Crossmen 09 show this year minus My Immortal. Same write, almost same arrangement. I'm not too sure where they're from though.

Lexington, KY. And apparently Guidry wrote their show at the same time he wrote the Crossmen's show, or close to it. A lot of bleedover of musical ideas, but not exactly the same. Interestingly enough, Guidry wrote Dunbar a show based on My Immortal back in 2007. Another example of how drum corps and band are intertwined.

Lexington, KY. And apparently Guidry wrote their show at the same time he wrote the Crossmen's show, or close to it. A lot of bleedover of musical ideas, but not exactly the same. Interestingly enough, Guidry wrote Dunbar a show based on My Immortal back in 2007. Another example of how drum corps and band are intertwined.

Hmm that's interesting about the My Immortal thing. But yea, when I saw them I was surprised at the resemblence with the music and our brass book.

05 Cadets= 04 Muskegon Mona Shores HS, Muskegon, MI.

Though the concept was a bit different, the general feel was the same. They had a door. I seem to remember the show being about phobias.

they started off the show the same.

2009 Lake Orion MI-apple formation guard with a red ball takes bite with the sound in the pit.