2010 Open Class Performers List

The Velvet Knights from 1982-1996 were a corps that employed humor. I saw them perform many times.

They were also a pretty decent World Class corps when it came to marching and playing.

This group is not there, they have a long way to go to be a respectable Div 3 corps. When I asked the question my intent was obvious and the director was flippant and disrespectful.

Just out of curiosity....have you seen VK recently?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity....have you seen VK recently?

obviously, this person has not. how was the corps director disrespectful to you 3rd&10? what do you want, a public apology?

need to go back and read up again, no more division 3 corps, where you been?

The Velvet Knights from 1982-1996 were a corps that employed humor. I saw them perform many times.

They were also a pretty decent World Class corps when it came to marching and playing.

This group is not there, they have a long way to go to be a respectable Div 3 corps. When I asked the question my intent was obvious and the director was flippant and disrespectful.

That was flippant, but hardly disrepectful. They don't need to post their budget on here.

Mike

Not to play defense for the director, but it didn't seem that way. A disrepspectful comment would have been something like "mind your own business". Flippant, maybe, but again, seems like the personality of the corps comes with less seriousness. Had the comment been disrespectul, I'd be here standing on the other side of this. Otherwise a witty answer to your question without having to divulge information the board may not want the director to make public? Maybe that didn't cross your mind because you were just seeing an attack...which I'm not sure. Maybe another third party could give their opinion.

If your "intent was obvious" you would have been blunt, "do you have the rights?? I'm wanting to know?" But you didnt ask that, did you?

Again, you failed to acknowledge that you were first asking something completely different than that once you became offended. First you asked if it was expensive getting the rights (it being implied that you assumed they have the rights already, otherwise you wouldn't ask if those rights were expensive to obtain). Then you got upset and changed your remark to "all I wanted to know was" (something completely different) if they had the rights to begin with. I'm surprised the director was kind enough to even answer with humor! Most corps/band directors don't usually go stating how much they pay for X service, just that it is an expense.

Are we so screwed up in this day in age that everything has to be taken as an attack?? Maybe that's why corps like The Velvet Knights can't put humor on the field like they used to...because someone will get offended. Everyone thinks someone is out to get them...nothing can be taken with light humor and a witty smile to follow anymore.

And by the way, there hasn't been a division three for a couple of years now. :)

It has been called Open Class for 2 years (2008 & 2009) and yes I have seen them perform live. They were a small corps (what would have been div 3) and a far cry from the corps of the 1980s and 90's that combined a sense of humor with a quality educational program.

Not to play defense for the director, but it didn't seem that way. A disrepspectful comment would have been something like "mind your own business". Flippant, maybe, but again, seems like the personality of the corps comes with less seriousness. Had the comment been disrespectul, I'd be here standing on the other side of this. Otherwise a witty answer to your question without having to divulge information the board may not want the director to make public? Maybe that didn't cross your mind because you were just seeing an attack...which I'm not sure. Maybe another third party could give their opinion.

If your "intent was obvious" you would have been blunt, "do you have the rights?? I'm wanting to know?" But you didnt ask that, did you?

Again, you failed to acknowledge that you were first asking something completely different than that once you became offended. First you asked if it was expensive getting the rights (it being implied that you assumed they have the rights already, otherwise you wouldn't ask if those rights were expensive to obtain). Then you got upset and changed your remark to "all I wanted to know was" (something completely different) if they had the rights to begin with. I'm surprised the director was kind enough to even answer with humor! Most corps/band directors don't usually go stating how much they pay for X service, just that it is an expense.

Are we so screwed up in this day in age that everything has to be taken as an attack?? Maybe that's why corps like The Velvet Knights can't put humor on the field like they used to...because someone will get offended. Everyone thinks someone is out to get them...nothing can be taken with light humor and a witty smile to follow anymore.

And by the way, there hasn't been a division three for a couple of years now. :)

It has been called Open Class for 2 years (2008 & 2009) and yes I have seen them perform live. They were a small corps (what would have been div 3) and a far cry from the corps of the 1980s and 90's that combined a sense of humor with a quality educational program.

Clearly you don't realize that VK made Open Class finals, finishing 9th in 2009. They may not be fielding a full-size corps just yet, but you can rest assured that they are indeed a corps combining a sense of humor with a quality educational program.

Clearly you can read the scores from www.dci.org

Never confuse finishing slightly better than 50% of the Open Class corps as providing a quality educational program.

Clearly you don't realize that VK made Open Class finals, finishing 9th in 2009. They may not be fielding a full-size corps just yet, but you can rest assured that they are indeed a corps combining a sense of humor with a quality educational program.

Never confuse finishing slightly better than 50% of the Open Class corps as providing a quality educational program.

Because what place you come in at Finals determines how good of a program the corps provides.

For someone that has been around long enough to have seen VK of the 80's and 90's "many times", it saddens me that a person who is at least twice my age is giving such a negative opinion on the activity which is drum corps.

"far cry", "long way to go", "obviously", "disrespectful", "wise ###". Very strong words against an organization, coming from someone who claims they believe Drum Corps is an activity that provides "quality education". Way to show the youth of today your support...while you're at it, don't forget to tell them to get off your lawn!!! :thumbup:

What started as a light hearted answer to your not-so-"obvious" question has turned into a bitter, grown adult, throwing insult after insult to an organization they probably have not even bothered to contact or see first hand. How many Velvet Knight rehearsals/camps have you attended this year? Can you back up your harsh commentary for that organization? Or will someone the age of my parents continue to childishly refute anything anyone says about this organization? Wait, I won't hold my breath, you'll probably just half-acknowledge what has been said by anyone here as you've done this whole time.

And for the record, DCI.ORG is a great resource, and I'm glad people can refer to scores off that website. From a rebirth of a corps, BACK into finals in just 3 years makes me extremely proud of all the members. THAT, right there, is more important than a ring. The building of a tradition that will hopefully continue to grow and excel is something the youth of that program will take with them for the rest of their lives. I applaud the director...that is definitely quality education that any program would be lucky to produce.

Actually, when I referred to them as a "quality educational program" it comes not from reading scores off a web site, but rather watching them warm-up and rehearse last summer.

Competitive success and educational quality do not necessarily go hand in hand.