Cadets fall at finals

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so. A "pulling guard" is part of a team effort and he fits his performance within the structure of the play (i.e. dot book). He does not act "soley" ever. In fact, if you watched any football these past few days :lle: you may have heard the play by play guy say (during a replay): "That lineman (or wide receiver, etc) missed his assignment." Further, as was the initial subject of this thread: in Drum Corps, one out of place action can result in multiple reactions (most with unplanned and unwanted consequences). In other words, the parallels of Drum Corps and other applications in competive sports are all over the place. So I respectfully disagree. :rolleyes:

However, I agree completely with the work ethic comments. But... if a member has poise and perspective, and gains ("advantage") from the experience of being a Silver Medalist, it is also quite possible for that to occur for the "Gold Medalist". Whether one makes use of that advantage is the question and it won't be answered here.

Winning a world championship at anything is pretty #### cool and I would suggest to you that any of the 1,500 kids that did it this century in DCI are glad it happened to them no matter how much we try to downplay it.

Cheers.

Please note my AND/OR's for each of my three points. :lle:

My point was that DC is a subjectively-judged, non-defensible, team activity, whose benefits are not demonstrably greater for the participant subjectively judged to be in first place rather than the participant who gets second. The benefits go to those who put effort in and realize the reward of that effort. If anything else was the case, we should only see prospective members auditioning for BD this year, as the summer was a waste of time for everybody else. To me, winning is just a nice icing on the cake. The achievment of the "unachievable" through all of the related hardships and with all of the sweat and tears and moments brother(sister)hood are the WHY of this activity.

As for your stretch about defense, well, you can ask the 1983 BD hornline how well breaking warmup to stand a foot away from us and scream at us on our way to the field in Whitewater prelims worked out. It certainly did not stop us from playing or marching well, but did provide a nice laugh after. :laughing::tongue:

Hope your year is excellent.

Bill

Please note my AND/OR's for each of my three points. :tongue:

My point was that DC is a subjectively-judged, non-defensible, team activity, whose benefits are not demonstrably greater for the participant subjectively judged to be in first place rather than the participant who gets second. The benefits go to those who put effort in and realize the reward of that effort. If anything else was the case, we should only see prospective members auditioning for BD this year, as the summer was a waste of time for everybody else. To me, winning is just a nice icing on the cake. The achievment of the "unachievable" through all of the related hardships and with all of the sweat and tears and moments brother(sister)hood are the WHY of this activity.

As for your stretch about defense, well, you can ask the 1983 BD hornline how well breaking warmup to stand a foot away from us and scream at us on our way to the field in Whitewater prelims worked out. It certainly did not stop us from playing or marching well, but did provide a nice laugh after. :rolleyes::laughing:

Hope your year is excellent.

Bill

We honestly agree on the benefits deal completely. I will also reinforce your argument by reiterating that I supported a marching member of BAC back in 07. It was completely a matter of making finals and competing against those corps in BAC's strata. There was no view at making top 5, not remotely. A victory (which was as important as a medal) was making finals and beating that corps you'd been battling all season for 9th or 8th place. And to us supporters that was great and a victory in its own right! This happens all through the different tiers. Ask the troopers. But since 08 (for me), the focus is different, different strata, but no less or more important!

Now about Whitewater prelims. Doesn't sound like BD, but I'll take your word for it. Perhaps a member of BD's 83 hornline here on DCP can illuminate. In any case, a psych is a psych, some work, some don't. Truth is...that if BD thought you bad ### enough to try to psych you....you must have been bad ###! :lle:

Edited by Plan9

Very different...all I was saying is that yes...it MATTERED to the kids in the corps. It MATTERED in that parking lot (on that night)...but take three steps across the street to McDonalds and nobody knows or cares what they just did. Nobody in any championship corps is going to further themselves in life having won a championship, with the exception of possibly doing work in the marching arts arena.

And I've said it before, would I have liked to been scored or places higher? Sure? There's nothing wrong with wanting to win, but has my life been diminished by the fact that we didn't get 2nd? Uhhh....no.....heck no.

Oh my god, THIS THIS THIS.