Which Rule Change would you change?

No, that isn't the best solution. The best solution is to provide training to the judges, and write responsibility for judging the overall sound into the ensemble music sheets. That way corps that do it badly (and not all corps do) will be held accountable. Corps that do it well (and there are a few) will benefit.

Electronics and amplification are not going away. Quite the contrary, you're going to see more of it as corps become more comfortable designing for it.

so then we're down to two impossibilities...eliminating it and seeing it actually being held accountable on the judges sheets :thumbup:

and i know you'll be pro DCI on this, but it's been there for 5 years, and we've still seen no serious handling of it by the judging community. hell in any circuit

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and i know you'll be pro DCI on this, but it's been there for 5 years, and we've still seen no serious handling of it by the judging community. hell in any circuit

On this we agree. It's one of the battles we fought last summer. Many judges gave us blank stares when we talked about sound mix and accountability. But in all honesty, it's a separate, though related, topic.

The fact that amplification has to be mentioned in the sheets for judges to actually hold corps accountable is bull. Isn't balance already a part of the sheets? Amplification or not, they can judge the balance, how the hell can you ignore a blasting pit? I know it's more complicated, but there should be no problem judging balance wise. I would love a look at an example of the sheets.

On this we agree. It's one of the battles we fought last summer. Many judges gave us blank stares when we talked about sound mix and accountability. But in all honesty, it's a separate, though related, topic.

it's very related. they passed a rule with no idea how to enforce it

The fact that amplification has to be mentioned in the sheets for judges to actually hold corps accountable is bull. Isn't balance already a part of the sheets? Amplification or not, they can judge the balance, how the hell can you ignore a blasting pit? I know it's more complicated, but there should be no problem judging balance wise. I would love a look at an example of the sheets.

the ensemble sheet has been posted before. but i have to laugh every time I think of Crown at Allentown with the pit cranked at 30 and they got a 19.2

THE MOST SIGNIFICANT RULE CHANGE OF THE DECADE: Get the judges OFF the field of play.

Let them patrol the sidelines, put them in the stands, or at the very least let them judge from OUTSIDE the "marching box", but judges on the field of today's modern drum corps is an anachronism. This is the 21st century. It's time for the judging technique to catch up with the marching activity.

/meaningful suggestions

+++

Please return to the usual meaningless and useless DCP posts which criticize DCI and trash amplification.

Edited by wvu80

the ensemble sheet has been posted before. but i have to laugh every time I think of Crown at Allentown with the pit cranked at 30 and they got a 19.2

But Cadets' amps go to 11.

[Agreeing with Hrothgar: Repeal the rule allowing amplification]

This one stone would kill so many birds.

No more narration.

No more static, clicks, pops and feedback.

No more synthesizers.

No more vibraphones that sound like a church bell tower.

No more staff members controlling dynamics from the sidelines.

Banning amps again would also lessen the chance of woodwinds being brought in to DCI. Amps do give woodwinds a foot in the door.

I say we load all the amps into Lucas Oil Stadium, take off, and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Edited by Peel Paint

Banning amps again would also lessen the chance of woodwinds being brought in to DCI. Amps do give woodwinds a foot in the door for a seat at the table. /huh?

I say we load all the amps into Lucas Oil Stadium, take off, and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

But then where would the Colts play????? :thumbup: