Which Rule Change would you change?

No , but you get a better overall picture .

brass wise you can hear the whole brass better from the box than a small section on the field.

visually also.

percussion is tricky but you can get a sense of the battery and pit from the box. percussion lines and pit balance. from the field >> no ??

GET THEM ALL OFF THE FIELD.

:thumbup::unsure::help:

and as such we have upstairs judges for the big picture already.

but in no way can you get individual issues from upstairs. this isn't the NCLB act where everyone gets a sticker for coming. I've been around band circuits where there are no field judges, and the amount of dirt missed "for the big picure" is astounding

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear that from people a lot. I admittedly didn't see that many World Class shows last summer, at least not from the stands, so help me out? Who was going heavy on bass chords and when?

Any specific instances would be helpful.

from the shows I saw;

Crown

SCV

Cadets

Boston in a spot or two

Colts

even BD

You would think with all the time they have had to correct this it would and could be done. One would have to be deaf to NOT hear the balance issues with the pit (this has been going on for YEARS. You would be better off sticking the pit on the back sidelines and let the sound propagate through the rest of the ensemble. That way the brass would have a chance to be able to be heard over the pit.

from the shows I saw;

Crown

SCV

Cadets

Boston in a spot or two

Colts

even BD

I watched much of the top 12 tonight on DVD... (I haven't listened to the CDs in a while) every show we watched was using that bass. Except maybe Blue Stars, Boston I only noticed it once. SCV was pretty bad. Cadets was more reserved... but still bad. Crown... ruined the end of the show. And BD... did you think that was low brass??? No couldn't have been, it's BD... so yeah...

and as such we have upstairs judges for the big picture already.

but in no way can you get individual issues from upstairs. this isn't the NCLB act where everyone gets a sticker for coming. I've been around band circuits where there are no field judges, and the amount of dirt missed "for the big picure" is astounding

You're talking to the over/false hype master I hope you know.

You're talking to the over/false hype master I hope you know.

I am aware. I enjoy using logic with those folks. it makes their heads spin :thumbup:

I watched much of the top 12 tonight on DVD... (I haven't listened to the CDs in a while) every show we watched was using that bass. Except maybe Blue Stars, Boston I only noticed it once. SCV was pretty bad. Cadets was more reserved... but still bad. Crown... ruined the end of the show. And BD... did you think that was low brass??? No couldn't have been, it's BD... so yeah...

AND..understand they have had all this time to alter the audio.

oh yeah, i forgot Blue Stars at Allentown