Any word on any acoustic plans for Lucas Oil Stadium?

Other than some brief mentions right after the season ended, we haven't (as far as I know) heard anything about any plans to attempt to significantly improve the sound at Lucas Oil Stadium. Frankly, I don't know if anything can be done, and simply opening the roof will not do it. It also seems as though DCI is totally committed to Lucas, and is not really considering getting out.......at all. (and that's a shame, because Bloomington sounds fine and worked well).

If all is the same, I'll go to Allentown and a few other shows, and support the corps.....but I'm not shelling out big bucks to hear the corps attempt to do world championship performances in a reverb chamber. I can't believe that DCI has devalued the musical portion of the product to the point that they obviously consider the problem to be minor or that it doesn't merit change. Sadly, I guess I am not surprised. It is a shame that it will take the bottom falling out of attendance at championships (which could happen fast) for DCI to re-consider. These young musicians do not deserve to bust their tails to perform their final shows in a venue that sounds like crap, and there is nothing that can be said to change my mind on that.

GB

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They hung more curtains in the endzones for BOA I believe.... I was told it didn't help AT ALL. The place is just too ####### big.

The LOS is an indoor venue. A big one. There is no way short of filling half the place with Styrofoam that will reduce the echo. If you can't stand the echo, don't come. It's as simple as that. As somebody who marching and watched shows in the RCA Dome, the LOS is significantly better. One thing that would help this-and something that would enhance shows-would be for corps to let big hits breathe more-let there be like a 4-8 count pause after a cutoff. Let the stadium speak. And then move on. Corps have to adapt to change and I know they will. So make the best of it or don't go. And for goodness sake, these threads about the LOS being an inadequate venue are getting rather tiresome. Rant about another dead horse now.

People are going to complain about it as long as it is an issue.

Go read another thread then.

The LOS is an indoor venue. A big one. There is no way short of filling half the place with Styrofoam that will reduce the echo. If you can't stand the echo, don't come. It's as simple as that. As somebody who marching and watched shows in the RCA Dome, the LOS is significantly better. One thing that would help this-and something that would enhance shows-would be for corps to let big hits breathe more-let there be like a 4-8 count pause after a cutoff. Let the stadium speak. And then move on. Corps have to adapt to change and I know they will. So make the best of it or don't go. And for goodness sake, these threads about the LOS being an inadequate venue are getting rather tiresome. Rant about another dead horse now.

Look, for marching band in November it's okay. Though I've always wished ISSMA would man up, face the cold, and hold finals in Bloomington for just one year, just like we've always done in Kentucky. I know that won't happen, but it should would be nice to be able clearly hear Avon, Carmel, LC, and CG outdoors at the end of the season.

But I understand why BOA and ISSMA have it indoors, and that's fine. I still love attending those shows, and do so almost every year. But for drum corps? In the summer? It's an absolute travesty. It's also a travesty to expect drum corps to change its entire sound to suit one venue, but sadly that's what's going to happen.

Here in Indiana there are lots of people in the pageantry business who have become inured to the hideous acoustics of domes. But don't expect everyone to feel the same way. Maybe there are enough of these inured folks here to fill up all those nice $125 seats year after year, and maybe the rest of us will just get used to it. That's what DCI is banking on -- there's nothing they can do to fix the acoustics, so they're just going to weather the complaints and hope they go away after a few ways. Maybe they will. But I don't know. Hopefully I'm wrong and DCI will come out of this fine, but for myself I'm not paying $75 for $10 worth of sound any more and a tacky retreat stolen from a WGI judge's nightmare. If other people are okay with that, then cool. I want DCI to succeed.

I'm all for amps, B-flat, electronics, and even woodwinds in the pit, but finals in the echo-dome is just too much to ask.

I agree that Lucas, short of something miraculous, can not be fixed sound-wise, and yes, it is indoor.........the craziest thing is that people approved of this venue in the 1st place.....don't worry, I (and many others) won't be there.....I will go to shows and support the corps, but to shell out tons of bucks for the sound in this place is not something I am doing again. You make suggestions, but the sound is hopeless....when the hornline changes from one chord to the next, regardless of articulation or tempo, the bleed is enormous.....and we won't even talk about percussion.............there is no "adaptation" that is going to make this place sound adequate.........DCI has been told.............if they decide to hold on to Lucas, I don't want to hear them "blame the economy" when they have 8,000 people at finals in a year or two.......and I will continue to rant, as it is wrong for a handful of well-meaning but ignorant individuals to ignore a blatant problem, and one that could cause great harm to the activity, which has been part of my life for nearly 35 years.

GB

I agree that Lucas, short of something miraculous, can not be fixed sound-wise, and yes, it is indoor.........the craziest thing is that people approved of this venue in the 1st place.....don't worry, I (and many others) won't be there.....I will go to shows and support the corps, but to shell out tons of bucks for the sound in this place is not something I am doing again. You make suggestions, but the sound is hopeless....when the hornline changes from one chord to the next, regardless of articulation or tempo, the bleed is enormous.....and we won't even talk about percussion.............there is no "adaptation" that is going to make this place sound adequate.........DCI has been told.............if they decide to hold on to Lucas, I don't want to hear them "blame the economy" when they have 8,000 people at finals in a year or two.......and I will continue to rant, as it is wrong for a handful of well-meaning but ignorant individuals to ignore a blatant problem, and one that could cause great harm to the activity, which has been part of my life for nearly 35 years.

GB

This.

Other than some brief mentions right after the season ended, we haven't (as far as I know) heard anything about any plans to attempt to significantly improve the sound at Lucas Oil Stadium. Frankly, I don't know if anything can be done, and simply opening the roof will not do it. It also seems as though DCI is totally committed to Lucas, and is not really considering getting out.......at all. (and that's a shame, because Bloomington sounds fine and worked well).

If all is the same, I'll go to Allentown and a few other shows, and support the corps.....but I'm not shelling out big bucks to hear the corps attempt to do world championship performances in a reverb chamber. I can't believe that DCI has devalued the musical portion of the product to the point that they obviously consider the problem to be minor or that it doesn't merit change. Sadly, I guess I am not surprised. It is a shame that it will take the bottom falling out of attendance at championships (which could happen fast) for DCI to re-consider. These young musicians do not deserve to bust their tails to perform their final shows in a venue that sounds like crap, and there is nothing that can be said to change my mind on that.

GB

Solution found...

749px-Wrecking_ball.jpg