B flat vs G scoring disparity

Go "G" or Go Home... That's my vote.

The local HS marching band has plenty of "trumpets" I can listen to if I get the urge (which I won't).

Ryan J

It is a corps choice to use Gs, and whatever it may do to them competitively is on them, really. That is like saying corps with old equipment should be in a different category as corps with new equipment. It is on the corps to get usable equipment and compensate for the downsides of whatever equipment they get, not the judges.

Although your argument is narrow, it's a hard one to argue. Your logic follows then, that all competing corps must go to B flat to have a competitve edge.

Yes. this sounds logical.

We should also classify corps based on the type of busses they use and their choice of hotel.

Or maybe spot a corps 30 points if they would be willing to field with G-D bugles.

Wait a minute. This argument isn't logical at all.

OK! OK! Take easy on me! I'm just trying to get a consensus. Not start a revolution. I didn't say it would be easy, or even possible at this time. But I think, as a rule, and I stress this, as a rule, B flat instruments have better pitch, are more difficult to overblow and, finally sound like real instruments. And yes, I prefer G for Bugle Corps.

Although your argument is narrow, it's a hard one to argue. Your logic follows then, that all competing corps must go to B flat to have a competitve edge.

Not at all. Look, 99% of the sound of the line is the player, not the gear. I'd wager that Star United could play on Bundy student horns and they'd still sound ridiculous.

As much as bag pipes are badly out of tune ....

Good pipers playing good pipes are not intrinsically out of tune.

The tone quality may not be to everyone's liking, but pure intonation is very do-able.

I'm pretty sure the Empire Statesmen have won or shared the DCA High Brass award at least twice in recent years, with them on Gs and their main competitors on B-flats.

Fran

OK Good argument, Bu-u-u-ut....I've heard Jeff on G many times and I've heard a recording of him playing a B flat with a Jazz band, and the difference is clear. Maybe we can get Jeff to comment of this.

The question is, Why did ES and their G's defeat the B flats? Could it be superior musicianship? Arrangements? Show content? Joey Perro?

I just feel, as a rule, B flat trumpets, etc AKA "real instruments" are generally of a better quality. I didn't think this was a point of contention. Ironically, I still prefer G's with drum corps.

Edited by Bruce Linderman

It's true.

See my reply to Fran Haring.

The question is, Why did ES and their G's defeat the B flats? Could it be superior musicianship? Arrangements? Show content?

well if you understand the sheets, you just answered your own question

OK Good argument, Bu-u-u-ut....I've heard Jeff on G many times and I've heard a recording of him playing a B flat with a Jazz band, and the difference is clear. Maybe we can get Jeff to comment of this.

The question is, Why did ES and their G's defeat the B flats? Could it be superior musicianship? Arrangements? Show content? Joey Perro?

I just feel, as a rule, B flat trumpets, etc AKA "real instruments" are generally of a better quality. I didn't think this was a point of contention. Ironically, I still prefer G's with drum corps.

For a full hornline, I enjoy both G and Bb sound. For mini-corps and other indoor groups, it's a no-brainer to go Bb. That's not to say G can't sound amazing (see Future Corps), but you have more flexibility with Bb/F.

Of the top 5 minis ONLY Star United and Ghost Riders were Bb. The rest were G. I tend to agree with the OP on indoor venues in particular, but overall as well. Obviously the judges didnt see the difference based on the scoring. IMHO the Ghost Riders sound has certainly improved with Bb's. But of course I am way biased on this one.

As far as ES winning the Brass trophy at Championships...Jimmy Steele would be the first thing that came to my mind with Jerry Kelsey's arrangements being very close second. And in third place would be the way they rehearse.

Bb horns sound great when you the time to work the sound with mature players. Weekend only corps dont usually get that time. Hence G horns still get credited in DCA.