B flat vs G scoring disparity

QUOTE (HornsUp @ Nov 28 2009, 11:49 PM)

Good pipers playing good pipes are not intrinsically out of tune.

The tone quality may not be to everyone's liking, but pure intonation is very do-able.

agreed, I've heard some excellent pipe bands, that actually play in tune,.............and were quite pleasing to the ear,.....................

The 2009 World Champions

Does this mean people in white pants get judged in different categories than black pants?

Does this mean people in white pants get judged in different categories than black pants?

Co,

Don't quite understand your reply...want to elaborate?

Let me review for you, maye you didn't have an opportunity to read all the posts and replies. The question was posed that, since Bflat instruments are generaly regarded as "superior", perhaps consideration should be given to separate categories, ie, mini corps competition. Good arguments were given for and against, mostly against separate judging. So, I concluded with that.

Again. I prefer G for DCA competitions, ie, as a spectator. If however, I would decide to enter an individual or ensemble caption, I would prefer B flat, the same reason I would take my R7 Tour clubs to a golf tournament, rather than my 1960 vintage Wilson staffs. As bad as I play, I guarantee a few stroke difference with my R 7s.

I even conceded that separate categories now is impossible anyway. But as you can see, we had some excellent input and some expert remarks on the subject.

Thanks for your reply

Bagpipes are in Bb mixolydian. Does that count?

Bagpipes are in Bb mixolydian. Does that count?

And modern pitch brings them up to about 478 or so on a warm sunny day. Lancers had a drum major named Joey Quartertone in the mid '80s too! :tongue:

I have played horns in GG, BBb, CC, EEb and FF, but still prefer BBb, CC and GG and in that order.

It's a tuba thang.

Edited by BigDale

At an indoor venue, it is all about control - regardless of instrument key. Outdoor dynamics are not the same as indoor dynamics. Intonation is more critical indoors.

I can tell you that me and my crew played just as loudly indoors as we did on the field on Sunday night. (And I personally don't play all that differently indoors than when I am out on the field.)

Drum Corps is Drum Corps!

And hundreds of hornlines over the years have proved that intonation is always critical! :tongue:

r.e. control, speaking about Star specifically, if you listen to the DCA video, the one where the mics were 10 feet from the stage, you will hear plenty of stuff right on the edge of control, and some things that were well past it!

Now onto the real reason for my post, as far as the G vs Bb debate, my dream would be to build an entire King G line for Star United and play on those. Seriously.

• Like 1

And hundreds of hornlines over the years have proved that intonation is always critical! :tongue:

In fact, I've heard horn lines through the years where intonation was not only critical, it was on life support.

:tongue::doh::doh::lol:

I'm here all week, folks.

Fran