NHL Winter Classic- Fenway Park on New Year's Day

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is amazingly cool!!!! You guys are gonna rock the house!!!!

I highly recommend that everyone on brass invest in a plastic mouthpiece. They make a huge difference in the cold!

Kelly makes a complete line of them. I would never do a winter gig outdoors without one.

Check them out here:

http://www.kellymouthpieces.com/

When I marched back in the 80's I played on a Plastic Mouthpiece and LOVED IT...very cool!

I highly recommend that everyone on brass invest in a plastic mouthpiece. They make a huge difference in the cold!

Kelly makes a complete line of them. I would never do a winter gig outdoors without one.

Check them out here:

Wimps! We do tons of Santa Claus parades up here in the frozen tundra, and routinely critisize the youngsters using plastic mouthpieces. LOL

I really think the TV coverage is going to be good as far as showing the Drum Corps this time .I am hearing fifteen cameras .Don't forget that St. Kevins & Crusaders will be playing a long intro composed by an NHL music guy .That intro will lead up to the "Dropkick Murphys" singing "Shipping up to Boston" .I don't think this show is going to get chopped up too much with talk ! Fenway will be ROCKING !!!!! TUNE IN .........I think there might be a hockey game too.

Mike D.

St.Kevins

That's great to hear! We were hoping to go to the game, but my husband's accident has put a damper on that idea. Watching from home will be the next best (and warmest!) thing!

Thanks for the info, Mike!

Karen

I really think the TV coverage is going to be good as far as showing the Drum Corps this time .I am hearing fifteen cameras .Don't forget that St. Kevins & Crusaders will be playing a long intro composed by an NHL music guy .That intro will lead up to the "Dropkick Murphys" singing "Shipping up to Boston" .I don't think this show is going to get chopped up too much with talk ! Fenway will be ROCKING !!!!! TUNE IN .........I think there might be a hockey game too.

Mike D.

St.Kevins

Hope the TV coverage is good Mike. Think this is third year of the outdoor game (Chicago? and Buffalo before) but kept forgetting about it and finding the game in the second period. :thumbup: Will have to paste the start time up on the TV so I don't miss.

Man, best of both worlds as I'm a Drum Corps and Hockey fan (live near AHL Hershey Bears). Plus actually made a game at Fenway Paaaarrrrk in the ealry 90s during the "Slow Mo" Vaughn :thumbup: era. The fans at Fenway will be close enough to see the game unlike the Rich Stadium folks.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Hope the TV coverage is good Mike. Think this is third year of the outdoor game (Chicago? and Buffalo before) but kept forgetting about it and finding the game in the second period. :thumbup: Will have to paste the start time up on the TV so I don't miss.

Man, best of both worlds as I'm a Drum Corps and Hockey fan (live near AHL Hershey Bears). Plus actually made a game at Fenway Paaaarrrrk in the ealry 90s during the "Slow Mo" Vaughn :thumbup: era. The fans at Fenway will be close enough to see the game unlike the Rich Stadium folks.

Hey Jim,

You are right , the crowd will be on top of the game .Just like the old Boston GADIN ! Especially after Kevins ,Crusaders & The Dropkicks get them all wipped up ! The place will be crazy!!!! Now I have to learn how to program my VCR.

Later,

Mike D.

St.Kevins

Wimps! We do tons of Santa Claus parades up here in the frozen tundra, and routinely critisize the youngsters using plastic mouthpieces. LOL

doesn't matter what kind of mouthpiece you use....as you say up here in the frozen tundra.....in my years of Santa Claus parades..from Ottawa..to Kingston...to Belleville , points north etc..bottom line......Drum-line carried most parades..the wimpy bugles always froze up...or so they said!!! :thumbup: Probably why Arthur Itez and I get along so well.....of course us oldtimer drummers never wore any kind of gloves etc... still great memories.....did winter parades from 1967 to 1997.....made a lot of people happy.... Drambuie helped of course!!! :thumbup:

Check them out here:

Hey JC

I took your advice & went to the Kelly site & got a cold weather mouthpiece for my Mell . I figure," how many times in my life am I going to play in Fenway Park ?" Would be nice if some sound comes out !

Mike D.

St.Kevins

This is bound to be the most unbelieveable news to hit this forum in many a day. No, I don't mean the fact that an ice rink will be built in the middle of fabled Fenway Park- home of the Red Sox, and that the Boston Bruins will face off against the Philadelphia Flyers on New Year's Day. The unbelieveable part is that the Crusaders Senior Corps of Boston will join forces with the St. Kevin Emerald Knights to perform a selection as an intro to the Drop Kick Murphy's who will play their hit, "I'm Shipping Up to Boston." BAC and SKEK were great rivals in the 1960's but have grown closer as a combination of maturity and senility has inflicted their members. The corps now actually like each other!

It should be a memorable event and we'll have to see if the temperature has an effect on the valves of the brass players.

For me, personally, I'll have to miss it because I previously had made plans to be in Pasadena to watch the Rose Bowl Parade. It's tough giving up an exciting January day in frozen Fenway to smell the roses in sunny California, but like they say, someone's got to do it!

Reminder, the Crusaders Senior Corps' first Open House is this Sunday (Dec. 6) at 1:00pm at the Malden VFW on Crystal St. Malden. :tongue::tongue:

Hey, You know if this Drum Corps thing is a big success in Boston ,the NHL might be inclined to use the same opening formula in the other big Hockey towns that will have NHL Winter Classics in future years. Just think of the Corps that could get involved. NY, Philly ? Could turn out to be a big boost for Alumni Corps all over .

Allthe Best,

Mike D.

Check them out here:

Well this morning it is in the 20s at my house in Mass. Last week it was 60 when I ordered my Kelly .Glad I did. A bunch of our guys did too. The cool days are coming .We have a night rehearsal at Fenway 6-10 . That will be the test !!!

Mike D.

St.Kevins