Drum Corps Injuries

I've had nothing serious... tweaked a knee and missed a few reps once in 07. Missed 30 minutes in 06 from something heat exhaustion-ish in Oklahoma (then I got a local paper and read about how people had died from the heat, lol). Missed the last 5 minutes of a block with the same thing in Texas in 07, but it was right before lunch, so I got cooled down and lots of water fine. And I randomly had pain in the left side of my back during a music block in 07. I would put the horn up, and then after like 30 seconds, it felt like someone was stabbing something knife-like or needle-like into a spot in my back. It was unbearable, and I don't know wtf it was. I had to leave and go see the trainer and he said it was muscle soreness, but it didn't feel like soreness. I don't remember it hurting after I came back though. It was weird.

So... all together I missed like, 75 minutes in 2 years?

I have also watched people pretend to be injured. I don't understand. You are paying money to do this... if you are pretending to be hurt or playing up your injury to get off the field, you are wasting your money.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing major when I marched...except for some reason I was limping badly as we neared the stadium on finals night....went away when I saw the crowd...STILL don't know what happened there.

I kinda doubt BD's Joe Riccard's aneurysm in 08 counts...

I didn't go on a full tour due to an injury. I pinched a nerve in my shoulder pretty badly in spring training and I wasn't able to build up the endurance again to make it through my show. It was a revolving door of problems as the staff did not lend support or took it as serious as it was rather than offering advice, they offered ultimatums and poor leadership. I decided not to jeopardize my future as a dancer and quit.

Best decision I ever made too, as that injury haunted me throughout my undergrad.

Hard choice, but the right choice.

Edited by Musical_Spinner

A piece of scaffolding got dropped on the neck/upper back of one of our euphonium players this summer. He had to wear a neckbrace during rehearsal and shows for the rest of the summer.

We had an entire scaffolding fall on a kids head the day of our first show...but only knocked him out for a day. As for me....i was incredibly lucky with injuries. The only time I ever missed a rep was for an emergency bathroom run, once to tie my shoe in 2006, and part of one because the entire sole of my shoe tore almost completely off during a rep of malaguena, and was flapping around. I ripped it off and threw it to the sidelines and hopped back in to finish it. I'm far from an athlete, but to go 3 years in cadets with no problems....like i said, lucky :tongue:

while marching WGI, i injured my knee the weekend before a regional. left patellar subluxation, with a partial tear of the meniscus. i marched the next weekend at the regional, and finished out the year, much to my ortho's chagrin. it was my ageout.

When they added the "Death of Carmen" all over the field to the end of 90 SCV, I got shin splints from running across the field to meet my "death partner".

Was very painful and kinda caught me by surprise. And we worked that ending many times. Had to do that jazz run over and over. I had to wear a sort of orthopedic sock thing that went up to my kneee for the last week or so. (Can still see it in the video my dad shot of our final runthrough that year.)

My child's two main injuries came from sabres that she was not spinning. First one landed on top of her head and second to the right above the eye. First one just some serious bandaging and second a few stitches.

That's normal for guard, tho.

I didn't go on a full tour due to an injury. I pinched a nerve in my shoulder pretty badly in spring training and I wasn't able to build up the endurance again to make it through my show. It was a revolving door of problems as the staff did not lend support or took it as serious as it was rather than offering advice, they offered ultimatums and poor leadership. I decided not to jeopardize my future as a dancer and quit.

Best decision I ever made too, as that injury haunted me throughout my undergrad.

Hard choice, but the right choice.

That sucks, but staff can be in a tough position sometimes. As multiple people fake injuries when things get to hard for them, it's tough for the staff to know what to believe, not to mention the fact that having trained medical staff present on tour is a growing, but still new phenomenon. Unless you had been with the corps for a million years and people knew you, it was hard to get the benefit of the doubt. Again, that says nothing about your case, just things I saw in general...

My child's two main injuries came from sabres that she was not spinning. First one landed on top of her head and second to the right above the eye. First one just some serious bandaging and second a few stitches.

My observation is the guard suffers a disproportionate share of the injuries - and not just from errant equipment. They seem to have more bandaged knees and ankles, among other things. Might be the the different movement. Might be because they move in every rehearsal block. Might have something to do with the guard bus for all I know.

HH

Edited by glory