Drum Corps Injuries

Way back in 1982, the Knights (Geneseo) had a practice field with pretty bad lighting. Catching any guard equipment is enough of a challenge without having to guess where it's going to come back from the dark. One flag pole decided to land on my lovely bride's cheekbone, leaving her with a black eye. Then, to add insult to injury (literally), she did it again to the other side.

Hence a short-lived nickname of "Adrian", as in "Yo, Adrian!"

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rolled my ankle twice in the same show in Sunnyvale, CA in 2003 and it hasn't been the same since. Kept me from marching in '08 and '09. I'm gonna have to work on my pit chops I guess.

The most common injury you will find is that your hair folicles will take a beating from wearing hats all summer and by age 40 to 45 ish say good bye. At least that is my reasoning and I am sticking to it.

What's this 40 to 45 ish? I'm 26 and thinning out on top quite a bit, not to mention the receding hairline!

What's this 40 to 45 ish? I'm 26 and thinning out on top quite a bit, not to mention the receding hairline!

Ugh....turning 25 in a week, but I'm not too scared. Dads got a full head of (mostly dark) hair at 53. Now, onto funny sunburn injuries, has anyone ever made the mistake of getting a 'corps' haircut (aka, buzzed with a 2 blade) and then wearing a visor the next day at practice? I did that in florida in 2005, and wound up with a giant red dot on my head, with a white ring around it where the visor covered. Not exactly a horrific injury, but still painful and annoying.

Ugh....turning 25 in a week, but I'm not too scared. Dads got a full head of (mostly dark) hair at 53. Now, onto funny sunburn injuries, has anyone ever made the mistake of getting a 'corps' haircut (aka, buzzed with a 2 blade) and then wearing a visor the next day at practice? I did that in florida in 2005, and wound up with a giant red dot on my head, with a white ring around it where the visor covered. Not exactly a horrific injury, but still painful and annoying.

IIRC hair loss is a problem we get from our mother's side. All my uncle's on my mom's side started losing their hair in their 20's. A couple of my friends are also the same way, at the same age. I had a friend losing his hair even before high school, with no medical conditions either.

IIRC hair loss is a problem we get from our mother's side. All my uncle's on my mom's side started losing their hair in their 20's. A couple of my friends are also the same way, at the same age. I had a friend losing his hair even before high school, with no medical conditions either.

Ugh, well thats only slightly worse news. Im more worried about skin damage from drum corps.....plus i still spend a lot of time outside in the summers after aging out - at the jersey shore in may/june, and teaching a dozen marching bands in july/august.

I wish that was the case....my maternal grandfather had all of his hair when he died at 93....my brothers and I? Not so much (thanks for the genes, Dad!)

I rolled my ankle twice in the same show in Sunnyvale, CA in 2003 and it hasn't been the same since. Kept me from marching in '08 and '09. I'm gonna have to work on my pit chops I guess.

I thought you got that fixed...late 05?? Or did that 2 year delay between the falls and the surgery make it impossible to really fix?

I remember those falls....and thinking "GET UP! GET UP!" on the last one. Good thing that block was rotating so slowly.