Has anyone here ever thought about a "levelling the field" c

hmmm, the title got cutoff, but it was supposed to say "leveling the field" campaign?

I was just sitting here thinking about some of the Corps like Pioneer, Troopers, Glassmen and Academy. These are all great groups that could probably flourish just that extra little bit if they had an influx of cash. Has anyone here ever tried to organize a "help the little guy" campaign?

I think it would be interesting if everyone here setup a regular donation of somewhere between 25 and 100 bux to at least three or four groups from now thru July. The only rule would be that you could only give to a group that is ranked less than 8th. I am just curious to see what that might do for those programs. I know it would still be a drop in the bucket compared to what they need over the long haul, but if it allowed them to do one extra thing or focus a few more hours on the program instead of fund raising, it could be a major benefit... right?

Just what we need - the Great Society comes to drum corps; DCI as welfare state. Sorry, thumbs down on this one.

peace,

Fred O.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just what we need - the Great Society comes to drum corps; DCI as welfare state. Sorry, thumbs down on this one.

peace,

Fred O.

Fans of the activity getting together to support it is welfare??

As for the guy talking about colleges getting involved, what about getting out the high schools or even middle schools so that the band students coming up thru those grades could see what is out there at an earlier age? I know that this happens now, but I am talking about more of a marketing type campaign instead of a full blown music clinic.

Honestly, I am just sort of thinking out loud here, but the conversation has certainly been interesting!

I agree with what some others have said: if the lower corps can get more consistent membership (members staying for 3+ years) would probably help them more.

A good AA, fund raising, dues and various fees are very important.

You have to pay for good staff and techs and buses and brass and percussion and food and chairs and amps and flag poles and guard unis etc...

Before you go down the road.

Oh, and if you travel down that road. You have to pay for the charter buses that will get the kids to and from camp. cheaply and safely! :worthy:

What corps are you talking about?

Oh yea, that's right, the Blue Devils... :worthy:

My 2 cents worth:

Money is great, and by all means we all should find ways personally to spread the wealth. But, truth be told, the success of drum corps is not about money but about identity, consistency and efficiency (IMO).

Identity: not just uniforms and traditions, but also pedagogy of sound and movement. Example - Crown has built up an incredible visual and musical identity that has taken them to the top tier level. The pedagogy is strong and consistent. That brings me to...

Consistency: Vets are important, as we all know. But consistency in teaching approaches is also key. Having someone leading the brass staff who can communicate well to techs is important, for example. Having less turnover year in and year out makes this much, much easier. Also, this gets easier when the the vet return rate is stronger along with staff consistency - when vets know the way to play and/or move, techs get to spend more time refining and cleaning and less time teaching fundamental movement/playing. This leads me to....

Efficiency: a well-coordinated rehearsal technique goes a long, long way. But if there is a problem with consistency or with the working relationships of staff members, rehearsals are going to be less efficient.

Talent is good, money is good, but there's no magic bullet. Every corps has to wrestle with its own inner qualities and figure out what makes them tick best.

My 2 cents worth:

Money is great, and by all means we all should find ways personally to spread the wealth. But, truth be told, the success of drum corps is not about money but about identity, consistency and efficiency (IMO).

Identity: not just uniforms and traditions, but also pedagogy of sound and movement. Example - Crown has built up an incredible visual and musical identity that has taken them to the top tier level. The pedagogy is strong and consistent. That brings me to...

Consistency: Vets are important, as we all know. But consistency in teaching approaches is also key. Having someone leading the brass staff who can communicate well to techs is important, for example. Having less turnover year in and year out makes this much, much easier. Also, this gets easier when the the vet return rate is stronger along with staff consistency - when vets know the way to play and/or move, techs get to spend more time refining and cleaning and less time teaching fundamental movement/playing. This leads me to....

Efficiency: a well-coordinated rehearsal technique goes a long, long way. But if there is a problem with consistency or with the working relationships of staff members, rehearsals are going to be less efficient.

Talent is good, money is good, but there's no magic bullet. Every corps has to wrestle with its own inner qualities and figure out what makes them tick best.

BOOM

BOOM

Did my post make your head explode or something? :worthy:

No it just completely blew up anything opposing it. Haha.

tuff actin' tenactin?