Ya Know Eastern Mass.

Wally Curtis was co-drum major with Hank O'Donnell. It was Joe Anderson, formally of the Boston Crusaders, who became drum major after them.

So ... there ya go ... my memory is clear as mud!!!! ... LOL ... guess I better brush up on the Boston area corps' history before I MC St. Kevin's I&E show in March ... HOO HAA!!!!

Andy "where's my ginkgo pills?" Lisko

Gotta love those uniforms ! :shutup:

Thanks, We weren't crazy about them back then....

Lynn, MA "city boys", teens and pre-teens wearing orange white and blue satin "blouses" with those cream colored empire waist pants and white bucks.... (the orange and blue shako and white plumes weren't loved by the "locals" (non members) either)

We didn't make many friends in school back in those days..... LOL

Growing up in Lynn, most of the "yout" <$1 to Pepe> in my days were not involved with DC. As most of the folks that competed at Manning Bowl in the 60's and 70's will attest to the "kids" that hung around were not marching members of any musical group... :smile:

Growing up in Lynn, most of the "yout" <$1 to Pepe> in my days were not involved with DC. As most of the folks that competed at Manning Bowl in the 60's and 70's will attest to the "kids" that hung around were not marching members of any musical group... :shutup:

'Course they were!!! Ain't you never hoid of da Sharks and da Jets?

There was, East Coast Jazz and now the Citations going inactive.

Spartans(N.H.) , were inactive - Now going back to "Active" DCI Open class.

Boston Crusaders, a Top 12 DCI WC group.

Mass Brass, a Top Mini group.

Pembroke Imperials, Parade and Exhibition Corps.

Manchester,NH Machachoes, another GOOD Parade/Exibition/mini group.

Boston Sr Crusaders, Exhibition Corps (alumni type)

St. Kevin Emerald Knights Corps. (alumni type)

and MORE !!!

I just can not understand why there is NOT a competing, at least a Class A group, in DCA. Even if they had a limited Schedule. (Just Boston area, Conn. N.J. and Kingston, NY) then just DCA Championships.

A lot of talent up there for sure.

Remember all the East Mass corps of the 1960's ... For those who were there I need not explain ... For everyone else, I can't find the right words to describe the Greatness of it all. I was in the Pittsfield, MA (western end of state) Cavaliers, and we met the eastern MA corps regularly, plus had them at the shows we sponsored. I too find it amazing that with all the talent in MASS. one competing corps does not exist as of yet ... GOOD LUCK to those who are trying ... it ain't easy !!

On another note, I used to really like the Gatesmen from Boston. It was said they never had a recording made. I find that hard to believe. If anyone knows of a recording of them Please let me know. Thanks .... Paul C. Director RED KNIGHTS Pittsfield, MA.

'Course they were!!! Ain't you never hoid of da Sharks and da Jets?

hehe... Dat waz Nu Yuk, noit Lynn.... :shutup:

They commuted...? :biggrin:

"Jazz danced" the whole way?? :shutup:

Remember all the East Mass corps of the 1960's ... For those who were there I need not explain ... For everyone else, I can't find the right words to describe the Greatness of it all. I was in the Pittsfield, MA (western end of state) Cavaliers, and we met the eastern MA corps regularly, plus had them at the shows we sponsored. I too find it amazing that with all the talent in MASS. one competing corps does not exist as of yet ... GOOD LUCK to those who are trying ... it ain't easy !!

On another note, I used to really like the Gatesmen from Boston. It was said they never had a recording made. I find that hard to believe. If anyone knows of a recording of them Please let me know. Thanks .... Paul C. Director RED KNIGHTS Pittsfield, MA.

My Boston Crusaders Senior Corps has had a few former Cardinals and North Star members among us, and our horn instructor, Rick Connor taught North Star for a while. We even played two North Star arrangements the past 2 years. (This Masquerade and Ole') I think too much time has gone by for those members to get into the type of shape it would take to be a modern competitive corps. If they wanted to play, alumni corps or competitive mini-corps would be more suited. Today's senior corps are really "all-age" with lots of teenagers filling the lines. The Manchester Muchachos had thoughts of competing in the past, but I don't know if they have such ambitions presently.

We have 2 former Gatesmen marching with us. I don't know of any recordings of them. I can remember Benny Stafford playing the solo in Stardust. It would be good to hear them again.