What Are The Best Brass Instruments?

Having followed this thread from the beginning, I see one recurring piece of misinformation: many people think that Kanstul horns are pricey. This is not the case.

Perhaps a price comparison might be in order...Kanstul's the only company I've seen with actual prices on their website. I understand the other brands using outside retailers, but at least put down an MSRP...

That being said...

How about a mixed line?

What brand for uppers, mids, bari/euph, and bass?? G's for uppers, Bb for lowers?? So long as you have the same brand and model within each line, their intonation issues would seem to be lessened....but would a line of Kanstul G Powerbore sops work well with Dynasty F mellos, King Bb baris, and Jupiter Bb tubas???? (for example)

Basically....if you could build a horn line using ANY compo in brass....what would it be? And would it be different for a small line (6 sop, 4 alto, 6 bari, 2 contra) and a larger line?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kilties use a Kanstul line (in G, of course) and could not be happier. The corps purchased all new over a 24 month period; wonderful company to work with! Many of the members personal multikey horns they use outside the corps are also Kanstul.

The Jupiter baris and euphs play like a dream though. I'm betting the brace issue gets fixed with the second generation horns. Additionally, Jupiter's Quantum tuba is, quite simply, the best sounding tuba on the field today.

Hell yeah, Jupiter low brass horns sound awesome.

Whatever Blue Devils use....they always sound amazing. Just perfect.

Phantom too! The 2003 era.

Whatever Blue Devils use....they always sound amazing. Just perfect.

Did you hear last years show?... That horn line was FAR from perfect.

Oh and they played on Dynasty horns... which are complete garbage

Phantom too! The 2003 era.

Um... no. Very emotional performance (which I loved), but they sounded like chainsaws at times.

Perhaps a price comparison might be in order...Kanstul's the only company I've seen with actual prices on their website. I understand the other brands using outside retailers, but at least put down an MSRP...

Agreed. When I was shopping for a marching Euphonium in 2002, Kanstul was $1,835 shipped. The Deg (the only other G) was an MSRP of $2,999 according to email correspondence. Plus the hassle of going to a music store and ordering through them. I've tried that with mouthpieces before, as they hand me a guitar catalog to find that item for them...

(Well I know the Stars use Kings, and Phantom uses Jupiter, that's what I know for sure)

What about Bach? It is merely a dream but they are really really nice horns as far as trumpets go... but that would mean you'd need to intermix brands (that my be an issue) if a corps had the money for a full set.... *whistles

Edited by JF154283

Anything in "G".