Drum Corps vs. The World

regionals only is a disaster waiting to happen. you cut off thousands of fans who can't/won't travel hundreds of miles to see a show. you will LOSE customers once the tour stops coming to the few places it has left.

DCI is doing a great job marketing to kids. I still feel they are dropping the ball with legacy fans

since you have way more posts than me, i'll take your word, you're good marketing btw/um i guess...bye...ya lost me

and i was so wanting to go to live drum corps contest...i'll just scan some old photos...i like sharing my old stuff...bye

you win

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The July 4th event at the Rose Bowl, is one event where I think the world gets a chance to see what corps is.The event surrounds a much larger gathering for the city of Pasadena- Americafest- and as you drive into the stadium day of- you get a sense of just how many people are surrounding the grounds, and the enormity of it all. There are thousands of people, all over the grounds of the stadium doing their July 4th thing.

Having gone to it, twice, it is impressive to not only see thousands in the Rose Bowl, with drum corps fans- but also know that thousands (in the end zone), are also seeing something that to them, may be completely beyond their all to familiar halftime shows in their HS or college days. In that, I think that show is a microcosm, to the larger picture of attracting the masses

The setup of the stands, is rather divided. Those who buy tickets in advance (presumably "the fans") sit under the press box- and those who primarily are there for fireworks, stroll into the stadium and sit in the end zone as the evening wears on. For the press-box fans, the annoyances of the vendors, beach balls, talking and such, have happened-and have been mentioned in reviews. But depending on who you ask, your friends who went with you, or others, the experience will always vary as to how annoying or how enjoyable it was- so not everybody gets the best experience- but that is what it is.

But what I have wondered about, is how much better the promoters of the show can be, in completely describing what those in the "end zone" are seeing. Not only this, but for those in the press box area, to somehow integrate their passion for whats going on, on the field, to those who are definintely not in the know, or dont care what they are seeing. Shows like Spartacus and Ballet for Martha played there, and the cheers and roar of the crowd from the press box side has been great. But on the subject of the OP- Therein might be the key to get the "end zoners" to understand and appreciate what we in the press box are, are seeing as well.

Whether the 15k-20k, who sit in the end zone know what their seeing- is a guess. And whether they like it, can inquire about it, go to souvie trailers after the show, and ultimately go to www.dci.org to check things out- (if thats the goal)- there might be something currently missing, that this show could undoubtedly help gain. Getting a side view of the corps, then an encore of the corps, playing a patrotic/July 4th type tune-perhaps something better? How to integrate it, where they see the show, and understand more of what they are seeing, or undertsand what the corps are doing on the field through their show.....there are thousands of newcomers there for that exposure.

We have some poor reviews of the show by those in the know (seats under the press box) while corps are performing. But for the success of it, there were probably occassions where one meets the family, or the local person in the stands, who sees your corps jacket or t-shirt at this show- and may ask you what this is. Its happend ot me before, and I was happy to elaborate. Whether those people have gone onto the websites or to the souvie trailer afterwards to see what this is about- I hope so.

thank you for this

I used to think about DCI having a blimp for a long time, especially when I lived across from Qualcomm Stadium and used to hear that annoying blimp hover above my house. But it would have been cool to see a blimp hover above a stadium during a drum corps show.

How could one not look at this sight and not feel pride in their heart? Imagine if we had Michael Cesario in the blimp waving to the people below. And we could put a blimp-eye view on the Jumbotron and show instant replays of drill evolutions in open stadiums. For closed stadiums, we could...uh, a blimp might not work, unless it was equipped with stealth technology to see through roofs. But I think DCI could make money by selling DCI blimp shirts. Anyone with PhotoShop ability want to tackle this?

blimp_at_turner_field.jpg

I've read about half of the responses and find several things interesting.

1- I beleive that none of the repsonders are marketing people

2- I think most have tunnel vision when it comes to who are the fans

1- In marketing the idea is to EXPAND the market. Meaning if you know you can capture audience X then you need to find a way to let audience A-Y know about the activity.

Saying Marching band people are our audience is very limiting. Alot of band parents only go to band shows because of thier kids. Alot of band kids can't afford to go to corps shows. And yes I understnad the stands are filled but we have to take into account the lost factor of each event.

So who is the audience for a drum corps show. Has anyone ever done a demographic. Income level, interest, race, religion, family size, personel interest? These are things that need to be answered before we limit ourselves.

My business was dying. I do safety training to child care centers. Been doing it for 4 years. I wondered why I wasn't getting new business when I decided to make some calls. People wouldn't use me for 2 reasons, They thought the price was too good to be true and they thought I wasn't state certified. After overcoming those factors I got customers that I;ve been trying to get for years. Then I figured out who else could use my services and found that business and churches are looking for this, Now I'm doing very well, why, because I had to understand my audience.

regionals only is a disaster waiting to happen. you cut off thousands of fans who can't/won't travel hundreds of miles to see a show. you will LOSE customers once the tour stops coming to the few places it has left.

Agreed. Last year, the nearest show to me -- regardless of stadium size -- was 180 miles away. Nobody from my area is going to travel that kind of distance unless they're already hooked on the activity. With no nearby shows and no broadcast, how is drum corps going to build a fan base in my area and others like it? More than a third of the U.S. population lives in areas with 50,000 or fewer people -- places that typically don't have large NCAA or NFL facilities. A hundred million people is a whole lot of potential fans and members to turn your back on.

How could one not look at this sight and not feel pride in their heart? Imagine if we had Michael Cesario in the blimp waving to the people below. And we could put a blimp-eye view on the Jumbotron and show instant replays of drill evolutions in open stadiums. For closed stadiums, we could...uh, a blimp might not work, unless it was equipped with stealth technology to see through roofs. But I think DCI could make money by selling DCI blimp shirts. Anyone with PhotoShop ability want to tackle this?

blimp_at_turner_field.jpg

Boo, my first drum corps camp for Sky 92 was at Spring HS north of Houston. Right across I-45 from the HS is where they used to store the Goodyear blimp and they started flying around with it during morning block. Noisiest thing you ever tried to march spiral helix of death through. Remember, most of us were just Texas band-O's back then...barely knew what drum corps was...next to none of us knew what a 3-hour block was like.

And then...look...up in the sky...it's...O...M...G...the Good Year blimp!

Oops. Dropped and did 10 a whole bunch of times.

Although the overhead of some of what Cavies has done this decade would be AWESOME!!!

They thought the price was too good to be true

Boy, that's a nice problem to run into--having to raise prices to get business! I should talk to your marketing people about my resume! :smile:

since you have way more posts than me, i'll take your word, you're good marketing btw/um i guess...bye...ya lost me

and i was so wanting to go to live drum corps contest...i'll just scan some old photos...i like sharing my old stuff...bye

you win

um? When have you seen me defend DCI lately?

I think you have me confused with someone that thinks DCI is doing a good job on many levels.

I think they are doing a great job marketing to kids. That's the only compliment I have given them in this thread. but thanks for actually reading what I said

I think they are doing a great job marketing to kids. That's the only compliment I have given them in this thread. but thanks for actually reading what I said

Jeff, not bashing what you said but using it as an example of what DCI is doing wrong. How many people know about DCI outside of the band world.

Better yet take dinner theatre. How many people go to a show because of something to do....no this is wrong. The issue with DCI is that lets say there is a show in Wilmington DE. We hear about it for a couple of months, then the show, then nothing. Theres not another show until next year. Yes there is a simulcast but thats once a year also. What, buy DVD's or CD's, why?

Its hard to have a following with a once a year product. Imagine going to McDonalds once a year, Sears, the movies is a better analogy. What of the movie industry only put out 10 movies but only showed them once a year. Once again you can buy the DVD or CD but again why?

To most people Drum Corps is a once a year event. Yeah you have that $15-$20 but do you really have a life long fan or someone who will follow the activity. Alot of people at shows are already fans and maybe 5-10% a new to the activity (bought by a friend) and if we're lucky 1% will stay interested. I took my daughter (HS guard member) to the simulcast and while she enjoyed it she hasn't even bothers to ask about the activity or try to find anything about it since. This is what DCI needs to overcome.

Its hard to have a following with a once a year product. Imagine going to McDonalds once a year, Sears, the movies is a better analogy. What of the movie industry only put out 10 movies but only showed them once a year. Once again you can buy the DVD or CD but again why?

Pixar; they do pretty good for themselves. Maybe DCI is modeling their marketing strategy after Pixar. :smile:

In all seriousness, we have a small, niche activity that is not going to appeal to the everyman. DCI has a limited marketing budget. Is it smarter to throw money into a very broad marketing pool, hope that it will get a few newbies to a show, and call it a year? Or continue to market to the audience that they KNOW is aware on some level of the industry, push Championships (where they make the most money, I'm sure), which also helps push the CD's and DVD's, and then try to get MORE of their core audience in.

* EDIT *

I misread your comment. I was thinking it meant who produces just one movie a year.

Although, when looking at your post regarding the DE show, you're talking about an independent show that is sanctioned/approved by DCI, but it run by a third party. I imagine that all of the local shows are responsible for marketing their own shows, as DCI has enough problems marketing their own Championships and Regional shows to worry about shows that do nothing for them financially.

Edited by perc2100