Acoustics at LOS

Yeah I missed the discussion on this, but didn't they have finals in Orlando for three years in a row? Didn't they have thunderstorm issues then? I remember they did because I was in 2 finals competitions down there. Well we have to live with it I guess so there's no need for me to beat a dead horse.

The open roof also causes some wicked shadows on the field, so another can of worms for people to complain about with this scenario. Yes, I know there are shadows from the press box at other stadiums depending on sun angle and cloud cover, but LOS would produce some very distracting shadows with the rafters.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The open roof also causes some wicked shadows on the field, so another can of worms for people to complain about with this scenario. Yes, I know there are shadows from the press box at other stadiums depending on sun angle and cloud cover, but LOS would produce some very distracting shadows with the rafters.

Good point--I've noticed that when the Colts play on a sunny afternoon. It is not good for TV.

Yeah I missed the discussion on this, but didn't they have finals in Orlando for three years in a row? Didn't they have thunderstorm issues then? I remember they did because I was in 2 finals competitions down there. Well we have to live with it I guess so there's no need for me to beat a dead horse.

rain? in Orlando?

:smile:

That's just ridiculous. With all that technology they have in that stadium and couple that with the fact that it's the 21st century, HOW CAN THEY NOT BUILD A STADIUM WITH A DRAINAGE SYSTEM??!! I mean sure, one might argue that it's an indoor stadium and they don't need a drainage system. But if the case were that the stadium would be an indoor facility the entire time, what's the purpose of building a retractable roof?

21st-century stupidity.

21st-century stupidity.

Do you have a drainage system in your car with a sunroof or do you just close the sunroof?

The roof takes twelve minutes to open or close so it could be closed if a storm pops up. With modern radar any chance of rain can be easily monitored long before it would hit. Of course it would screw with the scoring and there would be all sort of controversy if they had to close between first and second place performances.

I was wondering if they could do something with acoustic tiling to help deaden the echo, but then I read that the roof opening is 4.5 acres. So that's not economically feasible.

I don't think there's a good solution and DCI is stuck for the next nine years. I just hope they got a really good deal on the stadium.

Do you have a drainage system in your car with a sunroof or do you just close the sunroof?

The roof takes twelve minutes to open or close so it could be closed if a storm pops up. With modern radar any chance of rain can be easily monitored long before it would hit. Of course it would screw with the scoring and there would be all sort of controversy if they had to close between first and second place performances.

I was wondering if they could do something with acoustic tiling to help deaden the echo, but then I read that the roof opening is 4.5 acres. So that's not economically feasible.

I don't think there's a good solution and DCI is stuck for the next nine years. I just hope they got a really good deal on the stadium.

my car wasn't built to have football games played inside...horrible analogy...and I thought I was the king of those.

my car wasn't built to have football games played inside...horrible analogy...and I thought I was the king of those.

Your car is meant to be outside, has a roof that opens and closes yet the interior is not meant to deal with rain getting inside. Why? Because you close the roof when it rains. But you're right on one thing, Lucas was built for football not music.

but my point was (for those who might have misunderstood it) what would happen in an open stadium if rain popped up mid-finals? It would get cancelled right? Or it would just go on...i don't know. So if the roof at LOS was open from the beginning, how would this be any different from a regular stadium? There's no need to close it, just pretend it's not there. But I understand now, it would sound crappy either way :smile: i'll shut up now

Do we know for sure that the stadium does sound better with the roof open? I've been lurking and may have missed when bands or corps have played with the roof open. I'm talking about a typical band/corps competition where a quarter of the stadium is filled versus an NFL event where there are bodies in every seat to absorb sound.

the roof has never been open for a marching event. And people who know stuff about acoustics say it won't really help much at all. The retractable portion of the roof isn't big enough, and the stadium is just too big.