How many years did you march in DCI

How many years did you march in DCI  

316 members have voted

1. 1. Choose how many years you marched in DCI... Not DCA does not count

I've definitely seen kids who are 4 years old in BDC. 3 isn't really that absurd.

The first time I ever saw BDC, one of their younger members tripped over his own feet, fell, and started crying on the 50. A judge came over, literally picked him up, said "you're ok" and sent him on his way. Ya, those kids are definitely lil ones.

Oh wow. But ya know, if that kid keeps marching till he ages out, think about how experienced and talented he'd become.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow. But ya know, if that kid keeps marching till he ages out, think about how experienced and talented he'd become.

Well...this isnt a bash on "that guy" but....I am sure many can agree with me on this....marching a LONG time doesn't necessarily make you the all star.

Some of the worst marching members I have ever known or marched with have had TONS of years under their belt.

This isnt an absolute, but I am sure others on here know what I'm talking about.

1 and with the 3-4 years left looks like itll be one

so your saying cymbals require having no mental maturity, or skill? anyone could just come in and play cymbals?

yeah your wrong

When i said mental maturity aside, i meant outside of a 10 year old not being mentally mature for drum corps (any instrument any section, from trumpet to contra, from triangle to tenors, from straight up dance to rifle work), i began referring to playing ability and physical ability to hold up the instrument. I would think that cymbals would be the only thing that MAYBE a 10 year old could physically play effectively out of the battery. Those field drums can wreck havoc on a still prepubescent spine. The only thing i'm saying about cymbals, is that they are potentially light enough for a 10 year old to handle. I understand playing cymbals is a cross between pit and guard, rhythm and athletic dancing.

6 weeks.

OH!!!!!!! (looking at your sig) another SBI folk!!!!!! :tongue:

Unfortunately, I didn't re-discover drum corps until I was in my late twenties (my father introduced me to it in the early sixties, long before I was old enough to even understand it, and then it kind of dropped out of sight in our geographic area for a number of years). I went to a small high school and we didn't have a band. I started marching in an all-age, parade only corps at age 33, never having played an instrument or able to read music. I stuck it out for 9 years!