Boise State Marching Band Member

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and now that you know you are still laughing

Maybe the PC police could explain to you why a blind person might have that expression and how that’s not really funny

Or they could ask me. My only sibling is deaf, blind and mute.

wow, i know i'm going to feel bad for laughing when I find out what is wrong with that girl...

Well, we all know now that she's blind. But even before knowing that, it shouldn't be assumed that anything is "wrong" with her.

At the center my brother goes to five days a week from his group home of blind men, there's a poster that states, "SEE THE DISABILITIES." Under that is the same statement three more times. The first time the prefix "DIS" is a little faint. The second one it's quite faint. The third one it's disappeared, leaving behind, "SEE THE ABILITIES."

Can we move on so this topic does not get closed :)

I'm moving on, but there's never a bad time for enlightenment, especially when it helps us understand our fellow humans.

I'm not going to say anything. Just quote two posts...

At the time, before anyone knew she was blind, this came on, and along with a particularly bad show (bad notes, no marching) that we saw from BSU, we saw this cowbell girl just standing there looking like she had 10 other places she'd rather be, just capping it off. It became an internet meme within minutes (with some particularly funny photoshops i might add), and hours later it came out that she was blind. Then after that the 'pc-police' types came in and were like 'omg, you're laughing at a blind girl',, ignoring the fact that nobody knew this at the time.

Even knowing she's blind, i find this pic funny. (i'd find it funny if it was any random cowbell player)

More_Cowbell_Boise.gif

Yeah, like a band director who should be profoundly ashamed of himself for not preparing her properly for a performance, whether she's sighted or blind.

I have great admiration for the cowbell girl for the courage and determination she has to take on the challenge of being a part of a marching band.

I have great contempt for the staff that allowed her to be put in the situation she was put in. With proper preparation, she could have rocked, but she wasn't prepared, and that falls onto the staff. She wasn't rehearsed enough to hit the cowbell in time; no one worked with her on her expression, which is a huge part of the front ensemble, whether or not you can see; no one took the time to help her with her beret or to help her figure out on her own whether or not her beret was on properly. She was warehoused on the front sideline and had the misfortune of being captured by a camera at a bowl game.

You compassionate guys are indignant about people mocking her; I'm furious at the ########s who set her up to look like she did just because that's all you need to expect out of a blind person.

I'll say it again: she has courage and determination (her simple presence is testament to that) and could have rocked the house if anyone really cared. The PC police are the ultimate guardians of the cult of low expectations that leads to BS like this.

Yeah, like a band director who should be profoundly ashamed of himself for not preparing her properly for a performance, whether she's sighted or blind.

We don't know what they did with her in preparation, so it's likely not the best thing to throw stones in their direction without all the facts at hand.

...I have great contempt for the staff that allowed her to be put in the situation she was put in.

...She was warehoused on the front sideline...

Rather than contempt, I give the staff kudos for making a place for her.

"Warehoused"? On isn't warehoused if they're on the front sideline. That demonstrates they're certainly not embarrassed to have her on board.

You compassionate guys are indignant about people mocking her; I'm furious at the ########s who set her up to look like she did just because that's all you need to expect out of a blind person.

Again, we don't have all the facts at hand and we don't know what the expectations were.

...The PC police are the ultimate guardians of the cult of low expectations that leads to BS like this.

If coming to one's defense by presenting facts on one's situation (I'm referring to the people who let the world know she's accomplishing what she does despite being blind) makes someone a member of the PC police, then sign me up.

Bravo to the member and bravo to the directors for helping her feel part of the band. That is something that should be praised.