Boise State Marching Band Member

Apparently it needs repeating. She's BLIND.

I must be out of the loop with things... Why is she "important" (or better yet, why is that picture funny)?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be out of the loop with things... Why is she "important" (or better yet, why is that picture funny)?

At the time, before anyone knew she was blind, this came on, and along with a particularly bad show (bad notes, no marching) that we saw from BSU, we saw this cowbell girl just standing there looking like she had 10 other places she'd rather be, just capping it off. It became an internet meme within minutes (with some particularly funny photoshops i might add), and hours later it came out that she was blind. Then after that the 'pc-police' types came in and were like 'omg, you're laughing at a blind girl',, ignoring the fact that nobody knew this at the time.

Even knowing she's blind, i find this pic funny. (i'd find it funny if it was any random cowbell player)

More_Cowbell_Boise.gif

Edited by AlexL

and hours later it came out that she was blind. Then after that the 'pc-police' types came in and were like 'omg, you're laughing at a blind girl',, ignoring the fact that nobody knew this at the time.

Even knowing she's blind, i find this pic funny. (i'd find it funny if it was any random cowbell player)

More_Cowbell_Boise.gif

and now that you know you are still laughing

Maybe the PC police could explain to you why a blind person might have that expression and how that’s not really funny

Or perhaps, the PC police took a good look at your picture and....I should stop there, it will only end badly

Maybe the PC police could explain to you why a blind person might have that expression

Yeah, like a band director who should be profoundly ashamed of himself for not preparing her properly for a performance, whether she's sighted or blind.

I have great admiration for the cowbell girl for the courage and determination she has to take on the challenge of being a part of a marching band.

I have great contempt for the staff that allowed her to be put in the situation she was put in. With proper preparation, she could have rocked, but she wasn't prepared, and that falls onto the staff. She wasn't rehearsed enough to hit the cowbell in time; no one worked with her on her expression, which is a huge part of the front ensemble, whether or not you can see; no one took the time to help her with her beret or to help her figure out on her own whether or not her beret was on properly. She was warehoused on the front sideline and had the misfortune of being captured by a camera at a bowl game.

You compassionate guys are indignant about people mocking her; I'm furious at the ########s who set her up to look like she did just because that's all you need to expect out of a blind person.

I'll say it again: she has courage and determination (her simple presence is testament to that) and could have rocked the house if anyone really cared. The PC police are the ultimate guardians of the cult of low expectations that leads to BS like this.

Yeah, like a band director who should be profoundly ashamed of himself for not preparing her properly for a performance, whether she's sighted or blind.

I have great admiration for the cowbell girl for the courage and determination she has to take on the challenge of being a part of a marching band.

I have great contempt for the staff that allowed her to be put in the situation she was put in. With proper preparation, she could have rocked, but she wasn't prepared, and that falls onto the staff. She wasn't rehearsed enough to hit the cowbell in time; no one worked with her on her expression, which is a huge part of the front ensemble, whether or not you can see; no one took the time to help her with her beret or to help her figure out on her own whether or not her beret was on properly. She was warehoused on the front sideline and had the misfortune of being captured by a camera at a bowl game.

You compassionate guys are indignant about people mocking her; I'm furious at the ########s who set her up to look like she did just because that's all you need to expect out of a blind person.

I'll say it again: she has courage and determination (her simple presence is testament to that) and could have rocked the house if anyone really cared. The PC police are the ultimate guardians of the cult of low expectations that leads to BS like this.

the directors don't need to be ashamed about anything, they gave a blind girl the opportunity to perform with the university marching band. We can't assume that we know how much effort was getting her to play in time, for all we know they tried hard and she just couldn't do it. And maybe it's hard to communicate or just awkward to a blind person about their facial expression, I mean, you can't say "hey, make your face look like this... oh wait.. you can't see..". As far as facial expression being a large part of being in the pit... this is college marching band, in IDAHO! not exactly the mecca of music education and things of the sort!

the only unfortunate thing was that the cameras just happened to pick her up for a bunch of tools like us to make assumptions about (hey, I thought it was funny too!)

now the guard and their 'ultra flattering' uniforms and choreography on the other hand.....eeeeek

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

the directors don't need to be ashamed about anything, they gave a blind girl the opportunity to perform with the university marching band.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

If she's competent enough to be in college, she's competent enough to know what a smile is or how to keep rhythm. If she can't keep rhythm, maybe she should find other outlets for expression. Would a sighted person be allowed to hit a cowbell like that? (Don't answer that! :shutup: ) If she's blind, of course she has special needs--those should be attended to. Such as, how could she possibly know how to wear a beret unless someone shows her, so let's show her?

Edit: Mr. General Tsos Chicken2, sorry to make the post personal and thanks for not taking it that way.

Edited by corps-mudgeon

Whether she is blind or not.. it was still funny. And I was not laughing at her expression or anything else.

The camera zoomed down on her.. and she was hammering the cowbell. They had the mics on the individual cameras on so you got nothing but over bearing cowbell for a few seconds... And couldn't help but think about the SNL skit.

Had nothing to do with the kid... just the situation.. and it's still funny. :shutup:

Kudos to the girl for being in the BSU band.

Ah, okay. I didn't mean to derail the lolcorps thread into an argument. (We should be lol-ing afterall.) Thanks for giving the background information though. I wasn't able to catch the game last night, unfortunately.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

YOU: "A blind girl is in the band. I feel good about myself."

ME: "Who the #### is betraying that poor student who's paying for an education?!?"

If she's competent enough to be in college, she's competent enough to know what a smile is or how to keep rhythm. If she can't keep rhythm, maybe she should find other outlets for expression. Would a sighted person be allowed to hit a cowbell like that? (Don't answer that! :shutup: ) If she's blind, of course she has special needs--those should be attended to. Such as, how could she possibly know how to wear a beret unless someone shows her, so let's show her?

agree to disagree I suppose..

I DID however, have a similar attitude as you my first year teaching... it did not go over well.... but and I am happy that I gave a lot of consideration to what others were saying instead of saying, eh, those a holes don't see it like it is! I see things much differently now, and I'm glad I do. Somethings I thought were important just aren't so much anymore, and vice-versa.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Whether she is blind or not.. it was still funny. And I was not laughing at her expression or anything else.

The camera zoomed down on her.. and she was hammering the cowbell. They had the mics on the individual cameras on so you got nothing but over bearing cowbell for a few seconds... And couldn't help but think about the SNL skit.

Had nothing to do with the kid... just the situation.. and it's still funny. :shutup:

Kudos to the girl for being in the BSU band.

+1 Truth