2002 Cavies 1st in music 1st in visual

2003 BD 1st in music 1st in visual

2004 Cavies 2nd music 2nd visual

2005 Cadets 1st across the board

2006 Cavies 2nd music 1st visual

2007 BD 1st in music 1st in visual

2008 PR 1st music 3rd visual

2009 BD 2nd in music 1st in visual

So for the 11 winner corps these past 10 years, 6 had high music with 5 coming in 2nd. 8 had high visual, 2 were second and 1 was third. That's hardly a resounding indictment of the judging community. What it shows to me is that you need to be strong across the board to win, which makes sense.

Is this GE Music and Visual? Because I believe the result are a little different then. And I think this thread is more focused on GE, and not performance. (Yes they do coincide... every caption on the sheet should cross somewhere)

Is this GE Music and Visual? Because I believe the result are a little different then. And I think this thread is more focused on GE, and not performance. (Yes they do coincide... every caption on the sheet should cross somewhere)

Those were the performance placements.

GE:

2000 Cadets 2nd music 2nd visual

Cavies 1st music 3rd visual

2001 Cavies 1st both

2002 Cavies 1st both

2003 BD 1st both

2004 Cavies 1st both

2005 Cadets 1st both

2006 Cavies 1st music 3rd visual

2007 BD 1st music 2nd visual

2008 PR 1st music 2nd visual

2009 BD 1st both

So much for that theory. Not ONCE this decade did a corps win with a higher GE Visual mark than music, though 4 of 11 times a corps won with a higher Music GE placement than visual.

It would just be nice if music were as important as visual again.

if the commentary and weight lined up with the number system...

GE:

2001 Cavies 1st both

2002 Cavies 1st both

2003 BD 1st both

2004 Cavies 1st both

2005 Cadets 1st both

2009 BD 1st both

So much for that theory. Not ONCE this decade did a corps win with a higher GE Visual mark than music, though 4 of 11 times a corps won with a higher Music GE placement than visual.

so as Ronda always says, GE usually calls the show.

now...which side is more willing to throw out spreads...music or visual

so as Ronda always says, GE usually calls the show.

now...which side is more willing to throw out spreads...music or visual

But looking at the performance placements in my earlier post, you have to have them as well....there is no One Thing that outweighs the rest.

Ah...my favorite Cadet show ever! :thumbup:

Believe it or not mine too!

GE:

2001 Cavies 1st both

2002 Cavies 1st both

2003 BD 1st both

2004 Cavies 1st both

2005 Cadets 1st both

2009 BD 1st both

I believe the issue is not which of these Effect judges has more "effect" on the final score..... It is that the visual aspect of modern drum corps affects both the Effect judges more than music.

I'm not sure whether it is the sheets or just how they are judging, but it seems like both Effect judges, when they judge the "content" of the show, focus more on theme, concept, showmanship, etc..... I think these are great things for the GE visual judge, but the GE music judge needs to place much more importance on quality musical arrangements, proper musical flow, the proper use of musical styles... etc....

These are some things which I think many modern drum corps shows lack, and it needs to show up in the GE music caption, which it doesn't all the time.

I believe the issue is not which of these Effect judges has more "effect" on the final score..... It is that the visual aspect of modern drum corps affects both the Effect judges more than music.

I'm not sure whether it is the sheets or just how they are judging, but it seems like both Effect judges, when they judge the "content" of the show, focus more on theme, concept, showmanship, etc..... I think these are great things for the GE visual judge, but the GE music judge needs to place much more importance on quality musical arrangements, proper musical flow, the proper use of musical styles... etc....

These are some things which I think many modern drum corps shows lack, and it needs to show up in the GE music caption, which it doesn't all the time.

The things you noted ARE part of the musical presentation...theme, concept, showmanship. They are not 'just' visual in nature. Much as the style, flow, quality are part of the music effect caption as you say...they also are part of the visual effect in looking at how the visual design is built, flows and has the style they want to present as the total show.