• The Cavaliers
    • Colts
    • Phantom Regiment

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely it is a luxury. It is absolutely ridiculous to say that marching drum corps is not a luxury.

Not sure what you are trying to argue with the "too bad you get charged for it" part considering luxuries generally aren't free.

It probably has to do with the fact that doing corps in this modern age runs about $50 a day, every day, BITD it was probably $5 to $10 a day. Weekend only or Full tour still costs about the same PER DAY. For that same cash you can stay in a hotel and eat 3 squares, even travel a little, sans corps. There's not many other things in our lives that we pay $50 a day on (outside of some chronic illness with a hefty drug cost). Cable $50 a month, Electricity $50 a week, Rent $50 every three days, Car payment $50 a week. But $50 a DAY? Some of us have jobs that don't even pay that much (after taxes).

Where are you getting $50/day from? Average season is 80 days (61 days in June July, plus a week or so in May, and a week or so in August), Let's say that it cost's $3000 a season (A lot of corps are around the $2000 range, but we'll add another $1000 for camps and travel expenses) 3000 divided by 80 is 37.5. If you take away the money for camps, and just divide the $2000 tour fees by 80 days, it's $25 a day. Now let's take $25/day times 31 days in a month, that's $775 a month to live, that's not expensive at all.

$25 a day is pretty darn good. Tell me where you can get 3 meals, an awesome snack, housing, transportation, and world class instruction for $25 a day? I see two week music camps that cost $2000.

The reason drum corps is expensive is all the money you don't make for an entire summer. I could make a killing teaching band camps, and other summer band stuff, on top of a full time job for a summer.

Edited by MGCpimpOtimp

Just remember, this poll and thread is great, but it doesn't actually do anything to get the money to the organizations. Starting this Friday (the 15th) through next Friday (the 22nd), be sure to go to the corp(s) that you want to vote for (you get 5 votes, but can only vote for each organization once).

Colts (listed as Legion Aires)

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiv...harities/818143

Carolina Crown

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiv...harities/633737

Cavaliers

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiv...harities/988781

Phantom Regiment

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiv...arities/1139541

That makes the most sense to me, but I didn't want to tell other people who they should be voting for.

For those that don't already know:

All of the organizations in the top 100 received $25K (so that includes the four corps listed).

Of the top 100, the organization with the most votes after the second round of voting gets $1MM, and 5 runner-ups get $100K. So it's possible that one corps could get the $1MM, with the other three corps, and two other organizations getting the $100K each.

Probably one of the actual charities that are doing something other than helping upper middle class kids do summer marching band.

Not a popular opinion on DCP I'm sure, but while I am a huge drum corps fan it is a luxury whereas curing diseases or feeding the hungry are much more important.

I marched, and I'm not upper middle class. I was once homeless for a year when I was younger (way younger).