Exploring the attitudes of fans on Indianapolis 2009-2018

South...people keep talking about Nashville or Memphis, Florida if need be, texas ( most likely in Jerryworld)

I would LOVE to see Finals in Nashville...the stadium is a short walk over a pedestrian bridge from downtown Nashville (and it's a pretty nice stadium, too...Titans play their home games there), there is a great park downtown along the river where corps could do exhibitions during the week...tons to do in downtown Nashville and surrounding areas, especially but not limited to country music fans (how I am both a drum corps nut AND a country music fan, I'll never know!!!) and there are an abundance of hotel rooms around Nashville. They host the Country Music Association "Fan Fair" at the beginning of June each year and can easily accomodate tens of thousands of people. The downtown area is incredibly clean, probably on par with Indy.

Has DCI given these people any real incentive to spend their $$$ on a trip to Indianapolis? Even if they decide to go, say in 2009, why would they return to Indianapolis in 2010? To see the same corps? To sit in the same stadium? To see the same city? Don't you think they might get a bit bored with it once they have done it once or twice?

I'm not going back in 2010 but it's because I dislike the direction of the activity (i.e. increased electronics) more than the fact that it's in the same place. If I didn't feel the way I do, I might give LOS another shot to see if they can improve the acoustics a bit...IF I thought I could get good seats (but that was another thread.)

The dome is obviously problematic but I wouldn't have a problem with a single venue, or 2-3 rotating sites, depending on where the venues were. Indy was an inexpensive trip for me but there is limited stuff to do. Madison is just as bad; the stadium is better but it's expensive to fly into and there isn't a great deal to do outside of DCI. Orlando is hot, humid and rainy. Denver was my absolute favorite location (and I'm on the East Coast.) Buffalo would be my second favorite.

sure...once in the NortEast. pick a city willing to have us....DC, Buffalo, Boston, Philly, NYC wherever.

midwest...Indy, Madison, Chicago if they want us, KC if they let us back in....something like that

South...people keep talking about Nashville or Memphis, Florida if need be, texas ( most likely in Jerryworld)

west...Cali, Denver

every 4 years rotate..pick who goes first out of a hat for all I care...just try and get a different city in each region, and not go to the same 4 places every time their region comes up.

that way fans everywhere win at least once every 4 years.

I know fans I saw in DC and Buffalo and Boston I've never seen anywhere else. I am sure every region has that

Jeff!

:thumbup:

I love your idea! It trumps mine! Let's hope that DCI will take notice and implement this in the very near future!

We have got to get together sometime this season. I can obviously learn a lot from you! If you have the time, maybe you could meet me for dinner at the Ham-Fam in Allentown on Friday or Saturday. It's an annual tradition for me. I get some friends together and feed them before the show! We have a great time!

Yours in drum corps,

Ron Gunn

Wondering how many times this exact thread will be recreated.

Wondering how many times this exact thread will be recreated.

Wondering how many times people will post on different threads that they hate electronic music and refuse to go to Indianapolis. Wonder how many polls will be put up saying this in one form or another. I'm sure the DCI folks are weeping every morning over their cornflakes, and are rushing to DCP to take the advice and correct the error of their ways.

Edited by dapperpoet

Wondering how many times people will post on different threads that they hate electronic music and refuse to go to Indianapolis. Wonder how many polls will be put up saying this in one form or another. I'm sure the DCI folks are weeping every morning over their cornflakes, and are rushing to DCP to take the advice and correct the error of their ways.

Exactly. I completely understand why MANY people don't like Lucas Oil Stadium, Electronics, etc. Problem is the powers that be at DCI HQ don't look to DCP forums for advice on where to steer the activity. It's silly to think they do. :thumbup:

Exactly. I completely understand why MANY people don't like Lucas Oil Stadium, Electronics, etc. Problem is the powers that be at DCI HQ don't look to DCP forums for advice on where to steer the activity. It's silly to think they do. :thumbup:

Honestly, why would they?

HAHAHAHAHAHA :worthy:

Why in the freaking world would the people who actually know the financial specifics of the activity, as well as work/design/teach CURRENTLY in the activity, listen to people who do not know the ins and outs of the activity as a steering point for the activity?! Seriously, if ANYONE thinks they know more about this activity than the directors who manage corps, the designers and staff working with corps, or the judges working with DCI, then they are ignorant. I know we all want our opinions to count, and in this PC world there is no wrong opinion. But in reality, 99.9% of the people on DCP have absolutely no business making decisions about DCI (myself included); if you want to get involved submit a resume to the nearest corps and teach. Work your way up the ranks of the corps to become knowledgeable enough to influence the decisions of the corps director. Or start your own corps. Or volunteer for a corps. Or run for a corps' Board of Directors.

But seriously, most of us are just fans: nothing more. That doesn't entitle us to ANYTHING. Like what's on the field? Awesome. Support your favorite corps anyway you can. Don't like what's on the field? Bummer. Find something else to do. Complain to a corps director. Stop spending money on a product you don't like.

But thinking DCI should listen to DCP forums for advice on how to steer the activity is hilarious and ludicrous. I don't like Leno on the Tonight Show: should NBC let me set their prime time and late night schedule for them?! :worthy:

HAHAHAHAHAHA :thumbup:

Why in the freaking world would the people who actually know the financial specifics of the activity, as well as work/design/teach CURRENTLY in the activity, listen to people who do not know the ins and outs of the activity as a steering point for the activity?! Seriously, if ANYONE thinks they know more about this activity than the directors who manage corps, the designers and staff working with corps, or the judges working with DCI, then they are ignorant. I know we all want our opinions to count, and in this PC world there is no wrong opinion. But in reality, 99.9% of the people on DCP have absolutely no business making decisions about DCI (myself included); if you want to get involved submit a resume to the nearest corps and teach. Work your way up the ranks of the corps to become knowledgeable enough to influence the decisions of the corps director. Or start your own corps. Or volunteer for a corps. Or run for a corps' Board of Directors.

But seriously, most of us are just fans: nothing more. That doesn't entitle us to ANYTHING. Like what's on the field? Awesome. Support your favorite corps anyway you can. Don't like what's on the field? Bummer. Find something else to do. Complain to a corps director. Stop spending money on a product you don't like.

But thinking DCI should listen to DCP forums for advice on how to steer the activity is hilarious and ludicrous. I don't like Leno on the Tonight Show: should NBC let me set their prime time and late night schedule for them?! :worthy:

On top of that, if it really, really irritates you when people who have devoted years of their lives and thousands of their hard-earned dollars to an activity have the temerity to complain about its direction . . . bummer. Find another forum to read. Create your own forum, and set the rules. Stop spending time in a forum you don't like. Just like all them librals who hate America and our freedoms should quit their gripin and go live with their terrist buddies, amirite?

Honestly, besides the creator of all these threads -- who is well-intentioned if a bit . . . well, who else has argued that DCI is going to take any of these threads seriously? I disagree with much of the criticism of DCI, but I at least find a way to engage constructively instead of complaining with a bitterness that outdoes even the most grizzled dinosaur.

perc2100, my view is different. I believe, if DCI administration and Board are NOT visiting DCP regularly to read opinions they are seriously short-changing their membership. As far as I can tell, Drum Corps Planet is the only MAJOR, worldwide source of consumer input on the DCI product. To ignore what goes on here is foolhardy.

I will also say, your response indicating "If you don't like the product, shut-up and get lost" is contrary to every marketing and public relations effort I've ever encountered over my 59 years.

I believe the kind of dialogue that takes place here is extremely valuable to this activity. For the movers and shakers of DCI to ignore this vehicle, makes DCI unique and special, but in an unfortunate way.