Rules day III

I like the judge in the stands idea...it makes the caption more of a bet 'percussion' caption than just a 'drummy' caption. Balance and blend and playing in support of the brass...I like it.

Theory...it's good. In practice...not so good. USSBA does the Overall Effect thing, and none of the staffs I have spoken with really think it worked very well. One side or the other always gets the short end of the stick, depending on the judge's specialty.

kinda like the generic music ensemble already in place

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug,

USSBA has had the percussion judge in the box for years, so I don't think it was related to last year's fall. I like the idea, having experienced it dozens of times in the circuit. The Effect thing...not as much!

have you done it in a dome Mike? do you think you can get the clarity in there you can outside?

I seriously doubt there are enough qualified GE visual effect judges who can also judge music. :laughing:

and vice versa to be honest

Doug,

USSBA has had the percussion judge in the box for years, so I don't think it was related to last year's fall. I like the idea, having experienced it dozens of times in the circuit. The Effect thing...not as much!

I know, and I didn't mean to imply that I bought that nonsense, I was justing point it out. I should've been more clear: I find it an amusing irony that this rule is proposed the meeting directly following the finals when their percussion score bottomed out and arguably cost them a placement.

Personally, I prefer the on field percussion judge. I've seen it done both ways in various band circuits, and there are benefits and detriments for both systems. Has DCI trailed this at all? I'd be interested to see a trial where there are a string of shows with both an on field and box judge to see how varied the scores and rankings are. If it's fairly consistent I'd be game to give it a try. As much as design radically changes on a fairly regular basis, so does judging. If I'm going to be an advocate of change in design, I might as well be open to trying out judging changes too.

Still, I think in a perfect world DCI would revert back to a panel that includes both on field and box percussion judges.

(Guard-ian @ Jan 23 2010, 01:26 AM)

I seriously doubt there are enough qualified GE visual effect judges who can also judge music.

and vice versa to be honest

And that is, IMO the crux of the problem. I know of many visual staffers who would be livid if they got a score they didn't think was valid in GE because the tape was music centric, and vice versa with music staffers.

From my observation, most fans in the stands form their own opinions of the corps and their performances using a "judging system" of the "overall effect on me that night".

Aligning the actual judging system with the thinking of the fans by changing to an Overall GE judging system appears to me to be a good thing.

Many DCP threads over the years have gone on and on about how there is a disconnect between the fans and the judges. This would be a (partial) answer to this concern.

. Lots of tenor drum phrases sound clean from a distance, but if your ear isn't there to hear the attack on the head, you'll never know if it's REALLY clean, or just "clean enough so that it's not obviously fluffy."

Wow, I can tell you're not a drummer. A "tenor drum phrase" doesn't sound "dirty" up close and then mysteriously becomes clean on its way to the stands! :laughing:

Look, I don't care where they put the drum judge, as long as they GET HIM OFF THE FIELD.

Come on DCI, it's time to get with the modern times. Audiences come to watch a show, not to watch judges judge. JUDGES SHOULD NOT BE PART OF THE VISUAL PACKAGE.

When there 150 people running all over the place on a field, is one extra guy in a green shirt really that distracting?

Yes, it's incredibly distracting.

Not because of that one judge moving when the other 150 are moving, but that isn't the case most of the time.

There are many, many shows when the corps has made a nice halt, shows perfect lines, and some idiot drum judge is RUNNING from one part of the field to the other, or moving when the entire corps is stopped.