The Challenge

OK, I will state up front that I don't expect anyone to accept this challenge, so continue reading at your own expense!

If it's true that certain instrumentation and equipment, and their use, is not mandatory, then someone should step up and accept this challenege to prove me wrong.

Therefore I challenge any top-tier World or Open Class corps to play on G bugles, mylar heads, with no electronics or amplification, and a non-themed show design. Don't advertise it. Just do it. I'd really like to know if the judges and fans will discriminate against a corps for "not playing the game". If there is truly a level playing field, and "state of the art" is not mandatory, it shouldn't affect your scores.

Should it?

I guess I should extend a challenge to the judging community, too. If someone were to accept my challenge above, could you truly judge it on the merits without bringing your own biases and pre-concieved notions on the field? I mean, if they really brought it with an exceptionally performed show?

Could you?

OK, bring it!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you can find a new, matched set of G bugles, new drums with mylar, and a company willing to sponsor without throwing all their electronics at you as well...then we could maybe even start to discuss this.

Well if you can find a new, matched set of G bugles, new drums with mylar, and a company willing to sponsor without throwing all their electronics at you as well...then we could maybe even start to discuss this.

Kanstul and Dynasty still make G bugles; Mylar will still fit on contemporary drums (we did it at Impulse), and Remo and Evans still make them; Pearl doesn't make electronics, and neither do Kanstul or Dynasty.

Start discussing.

Garry in Vegas

fantasyland.jpg

Bonus point for connecting the color green to Carolina Crown's 2009 show.

Lacks any real discussion, though you get bonus points for the attempt at a picture being worth a thousand words. Maybe you should use this approach next time you write a pro-DCI article.

Garry in Vegas

Design would be the one downfall, if in fact you're saying do a show that like the other aspects of the challenge would be considered throwback. There are simply certain design expectations married with demand expectations that are required to compete at the top level. Now, if you're saying, what if Blue Devils took their show for 2010 and eliminated electronics and used mylar and bugles, then yes in theory their score should not be negatively impacted. Where they would be disadvantaged, is that they would be required to achieve the same level of GE as a corps using electronics. Not using them doesn't give you some kind of handicap points, so the onus would be on Blue Devils to make up the difference without them.

Lacks any real discussion, though you get bonus points for the attempt at a picture being worth a thousand words. Maybe you should use this approach next time you write a pro-DCI article.

Garry in Vegas

Well, DCI.org wouldn't be expected to publish many anti-DCI articles.

As for discussion; this is one of those things that can be discussed until the proverbial cows come home, but it's just not going to happen.

In that regards, the reference to Fantasy Land is more reality based than the original idea.

But maybe that's just me. I need to go back to bed for a bit. Maybe I'll have some sweet dreams. :thumbup:

Design would be the one downfall, if in fact you're saying do a show that like the other aspects of the challenge would be considered throwback. There are simply certain design expectations married with demand expectations that are required to compete at the top level. Now, if you're saying, what if Blue Devils took their show for 2010 and eliminated electronics and used mylar and bugles, then yes in theory their score should not be negatively impacted. Where they would be disadvantaged, is that they would be required to achieve the same level of GE as a corps using electronics. Not using them doesn't give you some kind of handicap points, so the onus would be on Blue Devils to make up the difference without them.

Good points, thanks.

And I think stealth would be important. Don't tell anyone about the throwback, though the mylar would be a dead giveaway. But I'm not sure there's a brass judge out there that could pick out a G bugle on sight...unless it only had two valves! This would have to be 3V bugles to pull it off.

Though, now that I think of it. the real challenege to the judges would be to let them in on it and see if they can judge it on the merits, and not on what it's played on.

Garry in Vegas

Well, DCI.org wouldn't be expected to publish many anti-DCI articles.

Not even a poster that says "Fantasy Land"?

As for discussion; this is one of those things that can be discussed until the proverbial cows come home, but it's just not going to happen.

Yeah, I pre-qualified it that way.

In that regards, the reference to Fantasy Land is more reality based than the original idea.

But, do you think it could be judged on the merits of the performance than what's being played? C'mon, Mike, take off the DCI blinders!

But maybe that's just me. I need to go back to bed for a bit. Maybe I'll have some sweet dreams. :thumbup:

Would Cathy Rigby be in that dream? (Peter Pan reference inferred from poster.)

Garry in Vegas