Death of Bill Gandt

Sorry to hear this.

Bill was a quiet guy (outside of his own section maybe?) during the Madison Alumni corps project, but he was always there and participated with enthusiasm. He was surrounded by considerably younger "enthusiasm" in the pit section for MSARP, but hung in there and held his own. I believe he also marched with Kilties pit section after the Scouts Alumni.

I remember walking briefly with him during the final days of the alumni corps in August '06, as we got ready for our performance just prior to the finals performance. I was joking how fast it all went by, and I said I hoped we'd all get to do it again sometime. He just smiled a little and said "I'll be there, too!" In the MSARP corps photo I have framed and on my wall right here, I can look up and see a bunch of guys looking serious and focused straight ahead... and there's Bill, off to right side in the photo in his line with his section... looking right at the camera with a happy smile on his face! :smile:

Once again, I am saying Vaya Con Dios to another drum corps personality, Bill Gandt.

Bill was a University of Wisconsin graduate, and for many years was the sole glockenspiel player with the UW Alumni band.

He also assisted me in 1967-69 teaching the bugle section of the Kenosha Kingsmen Sr. corps. And since there were no keyboard instruments in that era, he played lead soprano. A professional percussionist, who preferred to march with a horn !!!

+ + +

Bill performed with the 2008 edition of The Kilties as well and was fun to be around. He was a darn good percussionist. I always looked forward to his carefully typed letters he would send. Bill wasn't a internet guy and actually perferred typing nice personal letters even over a phone call.

RIP and MYNWA Bill. :worthy:

Before the first MSARP rehearsal we got together at the Coliseum bar in Madison for a social. We were hanging out with Taras and talking about the front line, and he told us about Bill, knowing that he had played glockenspiel in the 1950's. He assured us that we would find a place for him, even if it had to be a watered down part.

Needless to say, at the first rehearsal Bill showed up with the marimba book mostly memorized while the rest of us were struggling and trying to sight read, and played the marimba 1 book the rest of the summer.

Bill was a quiet guy, a very fine player, a true gentleman, and I think he really enjoyed hanging out with the "pit era" percussionists. RIP, Bill. And of course,

MYNWA

MYNWA

Edited by RobertPi1ot