Now's about the right time to ask

Ok, so im a junior in high school, at the moment, and im looking to tryout in the next 1-3 years. My favorite corps would be Carolina Crown, Cavaliers, and the Bluecoats. These three are the ones I would like to tryout for. Im in Murfreesboro TN and when I get the money together I plan to go to either of those three. Do any of you know of when the corps will really take new members. because I know that all corps would rather take their vets over a new guy. Could I maybe get a general area of when Vets for either of these 3 begin to run low? I just became concerned when one of my friends who plays tuba was trying out for crown and told me of the competition for spots, just for trumpets, I believe he said 24 vets trying out for 21 spots? Could be wrong but that seems to be what I remember.

Thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if there's alot of age-outs, espically from one section, I'd say that's good! :worthy:

What section would you be trying out for? I know some sections are harder to make then others. If you have the time and money, try out for two, or even all three, in the same year. You might get a call back from one of them.

Well, if there's alot of age-outs, espically from one section, I'd say that's good! :worthy:

What section would you be trying out for? I know some sections are harder to make then others. If you have the time and money, try out for two, or even all three, in the same year. You might get a call back from one of them.

Im going for the trumpet section, and how do you tryout for all three? arnt the camps usually on the same days?

If you are in Junior High, you have plenty of time. March a season in Open Class to get your feet wet and get some experience first. An open class vet has an advantage over someone with no corps experience at all.

Im going for the trumpet section, and how do you tryout for all three? arnt the camps usually on the same days?

Yes, some corps do have camps/auditions the same weekend, but not all corps. That's kind of what I meant by if you had the time.

If you are in Junior High, you have plenty of time. March a season in Open Class to get your feet wet and get some experience first. An open class vet has an advantage over someone with no corps experience at all.

I probably should, but ive crunched numbers and everything and with college and majoring in music and all, I can really only afford one or the other. Im not trying to be hard headed, please dont take it that way. I would just like to go out with a bang, and people have said that I should march world class (directors, pvt lessons teacher) though if I cant get in a world by the time age out comes rolling around ill definatly go open.

Usually, there are more than one audition dates for the bigger corps, so you can hit 2, if not 3 of those in Nov/Dec/Jan.

If you want to march at one of these corps, and they look for vets and not rookies, then how about you try out for an open class or a nearby world class. I don't know which open class corps are near you, but maybe Spirit now that they are back in Atlanta, or Teal Sound is also in the south too. What better way to get experience, and show the (insert corps here) that you deserve a spot in their organization, than by experiencing the tour.

Open class is relatively cheap compared to the world class tour, and DCA is really cheap compared to the world class tour, but they both give you the skills needed to go out and compete at those corps with the talent they get.

Also, get a job asap because drum corps costs lots of money, but it's absolutely worth it.

Trumpet spots are hard to get, because of the amount of people trying out for them. Work hard, in everything you do try to beat the vets to Set, and remember that a lot of the audition process is about your attitude. Over a couple months, the staff can transform you into a better player, or a better marcher, but your attitude is something they can't change as easy.

Whatever you do: Just march. Somewhere. Anywhere. Get experience, and get the experience.

Ok, so im a junior in high school, at the moment, and im looking to tryout in the next 1-3 years. My favorite corps would be Carolina Crown, Cavaliers, and the Bluecoats. These three are the ones I would like to tryout for. Im in Murfreesboro TN and when I get the money together I plan to go to either of those three. Do any of you know of when the corps will really take new members. because I know that all corps would rather take their vets over a new guy. Could I maybe get a general area of when Vets for either of these 3 begin to run low? I just became concerned when one of my friends who plays tuba was trying out for crown and told me of the competition for spots, just for trumpets, I believe he said 24 vets trying out for 21 spots? Could be wrong but that seems to be what I remember.

Thanks

Auditions are typically in November, and the competition will be stiff, especially if you have no previous corps experience. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go for your dream corps . . . you should! . . . but realize you're facing serious competition from hardened drum corps vets for each and every spot.

So do go to the camps. They'll be great learning experiences. Of course, I don't know you personally, so you may have the chops necessary to make it in! But if you don't, remember there are several world class, open class, and senior corps that are closer to you than either the Cavies or Bloo. Madison, for example, has held auditions in Elizabethtown, KY the past few yours . . . about 3 1/2 hours from M-boro. They're on their way back up, something a young marcher with several years of corps ahead of them might want to get in on early. There's also the Blue Stars in Indy, Spirit in Atlanta. Not to say that making these corps is a sure thing, but it will be easier. Music City and Memphis Sound are two fine open class corps in Tennessee. There are quite a few senior corps within striking distance too. If you don't make a dream corps, go out for one of these. You'll get your feet wet and be prepared to move on to Cavies or Crown. Or, better yet, you may find your permanent drum corps.

Thanks

Go to spirit. Its closer. You can make it (no offense but you will (more than likely) get cut from the other three especially at this point in the season).

They may not be as highly ranked..but they take on a full rehearsal/tour schedule, and you will learn a lot. Im positive they still have holes at this point too.

Pretty good advice, but I'd still encourage him to try out with at least one of his three favorites. Good to get the exposure to staff, set some goals for the following season, and who knows, maybe he's a prodigy that will make it his first try, it happens! Good luck whatever you do!