Duke Ducharme

Hi there, I'm fairly new to these forums.

I was just wondering if any of you folks on here knew either William "Duke" Ducharme or Tony Pelegrino?

My first visit to the States was in 1988 & by a combination of chance & good fortune (an interesting story involving a belt buckle!), had the pleasure of meeting and spending some time with these great guys. Unfortunatley I lost touch with both some years ago & understand they are no longer with us.

It would be interesting to hear of your recollections of both or either.

Thanks

John

Duke was the grand historian of drum corps. His collection of drum corps memorabilia was second to none... His passing left a huge void in the activity...

from his Hall of Fame bio

WILLIAM DUCHARME

‘Duke’ Ducharme was associated with corps in New England for more than five decades, beginning in 1933 playing bass drum and cymbals with Our Lady of Hope drum and bugle corps. From 1934 to 1939, he played cymbals, bugle and then marched as drum major of Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 70 drum and bugle corps in Springfield, Massachusetts. He played bugle and twirled baton with American Legion (AL) Post 21 in Springfield when he returned to drum corps activity following World War II. He had been drum major of the 104th Infantry Band of the National Guard during high school, and marched as drum major of three different United States Army bands during his years of service. He organized the VFW Post 70 Dukes in 1952, and in 1956 organized the Springfield Marksmen. His other corps affiliations included the Targets, Olympians, Holy Name of Massachusetts, Patrick Triggs corps and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. He was also affiliated with the Massachusetts and Connecticut Fife and Drum organization and the Yankee Drum and Bugle Corps circuit. He judged for the All American Judges Association. He was a marching and maneuvering judge on the Northeastern Circuit for many years. He was also a regular contributor to the Drum Corps International (DCI) scholarship fund.

Duke was the grand historian of drum corps. His collection of drum corps memorabilia was second to none... His passing left a huge void in the activity...

from his Hall of Fame bio

WILLIAM DUCHARME

‘Duke’ Ducharme was associated with corps in New England for more than five decades, beginning in 1933 playing bass drum and cymbals with Our Lady of Hope drum and bugle corps. From 1934 to 1939, he played cymbals, bugle and then marched as drum major of Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 70 drum and bugle corps in Springfield, Massachusetts. He played bugle and twirled baton with American Legion (AL) Post 21 in Springfield when he returned to drum corps activity following World War II. He had been drum major of the 104th Infantry Band of the National Guard during high school, and marched as drum major of three different United States Army bands during his years of service. He organized the VFW Post 70 Dukes in 1952, and in 1956 organized the Springfield Marksmen. His other corps affiliations included the Targets, Olympians, Holy Name of Massachusetts, Patrick Triggs corps and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. He was also affiliated with the Massachusetts and Connecticut Fife and Drum organization and the Yankee Drum and Bugle Corps circuit. He judged for the All American Judges Association. He was a marching and maneuvering judge on the Northeastern Circuit for many years. He was also a regular contributor to the Drum Corps International (DCI) scholarship fund.

Tom seems to have covered Mr. Ducharme's history quite completely. I only knew him as a judge at many of the contests in which I was involved in Massachusetts during the Fifties. I did get to meet him once off the field through a mutual friend - Jack Whalen.

Tom seems to have covered Mr. Ducharme's history quite completely. I only knew him as a judge at many of the contests in which I was involved in Massachusetts during the Fifties. I did get to meet him once off the field through a mutual friend - Jack Whalen.

My dad and Duke were great friends.Duke served as business manager of the Northeast circuit when my dad was the President of the circuit back in the 60's

Jay Morlot

Director

Bushwackers

• 2 weeks later...
I was just wondering if any of you folks on here knew either William "Duke" Ducharme or Tony Pelegrino?

Nicest guys in the world. I stayed at Tony's house a few times during summer drumcorps drives. He died a few years ago after a 40 year battle with MS. He was literally SCV's biggest fan, even painted their logo on his barn, which was really an SCV museum. Near the end of his life, I remember seeing the Vanguard doing a victory concert in Rome NY by forming a circle around Tony in his wheelchair and playing right at him. His wife Dee is a sweetheart too.

Duke I remember as the host of the amazing DCC party room every night during finals week back in the 80s. He was always so nice to me, even though I had pretty much no history in corps. He made time for everyone, and if you loved corps, he loved you.

Duke was a giant in the drum corps arena. As a member of the Sunrisers in the early '60s, I'd compete against his Marksmen in the Northeastern circuit almost every week in the summer. Although we were rivals, I deeply admired their look, music and style.

I was able to obtain his cassette recording collection a couple of years ago. It revealed how deep his roots went in the activity and how eclectic were his tastes. Duke was a true Renaissance man of drum corps, and those are few, far between and worthy of honor.

• 1 month later...
Nicest guys in the world. I stayed at Tony's house a few times during summer drumcorps drives. He died a few years ago after a 40 year battle with MS. He was literally SCV's biggest fan, even painted their logo on his barn, which was really an SCV museum. Near the end of his life, I remember seeing the Vanguard doing a victory concert in Rome NY by forming a circle around Tony in his wheelchair and playing right at him. His wife Dee is a sweetheart too.

Duke I remember as the host of the amazing DCC party room every night during finals week back in the 80s. He was always so nice to me, even though I had pretty much no history in corps. He made time for everyone, and if you loved corps, he loved you.

Hi Scott, I also stayed at Tony's in 1988 - I'd arrived in New York from England, for the first time & had 2 free days before meeting up with Suncoast Sound, but nowhere to stay. After a chance meeting with a guy called George (also big SCV fan) in Grand Central Station & spending a few hours chatting about Corps on the train North, we arrived in Ithica or was it Utica? It was 1am & George asked where me & my friend were staying, to which we replied - do you know any good hotels? George gave us a couple of suggestions & then as we were saying our goodbyes, was met by his friend Tony Pellegrino. George introduced us as his new friends from England and told him we were over in the US to watch Drum Corps. Tony immediately asked where we were staying & then insisted that we stay with him rather than a "ratty" motel. We then had a brilliant 1/2 hour ride in the back of his bright red truck (SCV number plate of course!)

We slept in his "den" surrounded by the most amazing Drum Corps memorabilia I've ever seen! He even had a couple of SCV championship rings that had been given to him, so highly was he regarded!

Next day was spent with George, Tony & his family - Im sure Dee wanted to fatten us both up - never eaten so much. The barn was amazing - comlete with SCV sHield - he also had a dog called not suprisingly - Vanguard! Next day Tony & george drove us to the competition where we met up with Suncoast.

6 weeks later we all met up at finals, where I met Duke and the guys had sorted us 50 yard line tickets with the SCV crowd! (much better than our top tier on the 20s!) This was followed by us attending the DCC party at the Hyatt Kansas

& Duke sorting us a room to stay in, as Suncoast had shipped out early!!

This was all 22 years ago now, but the memories are still clear & as enjoable as ever.

I can honestly say that both Tony & Duke were 2 of the nicest, most genuine, generous people that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting - they made a great trip into the best trip of my life & an experience I'll never forget. My only regret is losing touch with several years ago & never getting the chance to get to meet them again.

Anyway, thanks for the reply & thanks for reading!

John

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, I'm fairly new to these forums.

My first visit to the States was in 1988 & by a combination of chance & good fortune (an interesting story involving a belt buckle!), had the pleasure of meeting and spending some time with these great guys. Unfortunatley I lost touch with both some years ago & understand they are no longer with us.

It would be interesting to hear of your recollections of both or either.

Thanks

John

Hi John. I first met these two gentlemen in 1984 at DCI in Atlanta. I was doing photography for the now-defunct Drum Corps News publication, and the newspaper provided a room for me that was part of the group package that John Laskowski coordinated each year. Duke was the Godfather of the party room where everyone from that group gathered after the show each evening, and Tony was the number one SCV fan in the land. I continued to travel to DCI with this group for a number of years and spent many an evening in their company. I admired Tony for the courageous way that he lived his life, battling his physical limitations. The Duke, as you may recall, was never really focused on physical fitness as part of his daily routine:)) What he did focus on was enjoying every minute of his time in the company of his friends. I have fond memories of both of them.