Why Announce Where the Corps is from?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider the parallel in professional sports. How many Yankees are really from New York? How many Celtics are really from Boston? How many 49ers are really from San Francisco?

I think this comparison with professional sports is like comparing a watermelon to a grape. Totally different.

But, to play along...

The athletes at least live there during the year, which in some sports is a 9-month season. They are also involved with the city's charities. Drew Brees for example now makes his home in New orleans and lives in the city and not in the suburbs even. But mainly, the financial impact of say football is astronomical and has a huge impact on the city's bottom line.

Speaking of the Scouts, why don't they just officially move to Bloomington, Indiana & become the Bloomington Scouts? There isn't anything "Madison" left in the Scouts, is there? No practices, no camps, & the corps members now move to Bloomington rather than Madison.

I wonder how the city of Madison feels about the Scouts leaving Madison but still using the name?

Well, since they are basically being run by many former Star of Indiana folks now, I think The Scouts of Indiana would sound better. :doh:

I think this comparison with professional sports is like comparing a watermelon to a grape. Totally different.

But, to play along...

The athletes at least live there during the year, which in some sports is a 9-month season. They are also involved with the city's charities. Drew Brees for example now makes his home in New orleans and lives in the city and not in the suburbs even. But mainly, the financial impact of say football is astronomical and has a huge impact on the city's bottom line.

I found it ironic that the Indianapolis Colts lost to a team who's QB ( Drew Brees) played for Purdue in Indiana, and the player that made the defensive play of the game for New Orleans ( Tracy Porter ) was born and raised in Louisiana , but left his home state and played his college football for............. Univ. of Indiana.

The way I see it is, more like a Corporate HQ.

For example: Headquarters for the "Cadets" IS Allentown, PA, - "Blue Devils" IS Concord, Calif.

If like the the "Cavaliers" they chose to use Chicago, that would be fine. But let it be whatever they would like. (within reason)

Consider the parallel in professional sports. How many Yankees are really from New York? How many Celtics are really from Boston? How many 49ers are really from San Francisco?

Follow the money.

Naming Rights go to Franchise Owners of Pro teams from either where they live or where they originated the capital.

All the owners of the Yankees, Celtics, 49'ers fit that profile. They either live in the area, or raised their capital from that area. Then they move the talent in from all over.

Same thing with DCI. The Directors and Boards of Trustees of Naming Rights Corps either live in the area, or they raised their capital from that area. Then they move the talent in from all over.

It's no more complicated than that. The Cadets ( for example ) are from wherever they principally get their dough. Dough drives up ? Move to where the dough is, and that's your new home. The Crossmen are from " San Antonio " for the reasons just cited. This defines most, if not all, the Corps ( and Pro Sports teams ) and answers for us the question of " where are they from ?", and how the community received it's naming honors from that organization.

Edited by BRASSO

But, to play along...

Um ya, well, if drum corps performers were getting really attractive salaries, I think that would be the case too. I can say, after working many seasons with Boston in the 80's and 90's that many out of staters fell in love with the Boston area and moved and settled there.

Um ya, well, if drum corps performers were getting really attractive salaries, I think that would be the case too. I can say, after working many seasons with Boston in the 80's and 90's that many out of staters fell in love with the Boston area and moved and settled there.

And coincidentally, quite a few of the Boston Crusaders marchers that marched in the 50's and 60's with the Boston Crusaders are retired and now live ( or spend their winters in ) ......... you guessed........... Florida.

( The Crusaders still get most of the dough to run the Corps from the Boston area, so naming rights stiil go to where the fund raising comes from.... thus, it's still the " Boston Crusaders ")

Edited by BRASSO