Pirated finals videos

I'd probably ask the guy if he was recording the whole show and see if he would give me his email address so I can "get a copy" when I get home. If he said yes, then I would assume the intent is to distribute. At that point I would probably turn over the guys name and email to DCI to do what they feel is appropriate.

Now another question, my wife was given a DVD of 2012 which is an obvious rip off. We have not watched it. Do we turn it into some authority somewhere along with the name of the person that gave it to us? Or do we simply ignore the offer and return the DVD and stay quiet?

I pray that this is not a serious question

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pray that this is not a serious question

Ditto

So, by this logic, if I spend $10,000 per year on drum corp activity stuff, am I allowed to record finals?

And if I only spend $500 per year can I just record prelims?

:rolleyes:

That's what you took from what I said? Really?

If it makes people angry because it says on the ticket that you shouldn't do it, then I really think that they should lighten up. The person sitting over your shoulder isn't a threat to the cost of your DCI experience. They are probably spending more on the activity than you.

This is what you said. If I may, to paraphrase, I should ignore the guy over my shoulder for video-taping the show because he's spending more on the activity than I am.

Care to elaborate?

I'm amazed at the people who have no humor in their lives at all.

I was just commenting on a much earlier post, but didn't want to scroll back through the 25 pages to find it.

I totally understand the point you're making. There might be an occasional person that would listen to the bootleg instead of buying the real deal. By occasional, I mean almost no one. Pretty much every person I've ever known that has recorded at a show also has a fully stocked library of DCI videos and cd's. As I stated before, most of these folks are your die hard fan. It's not like they aren't out there spending their money on the activity. They are buying tickets, many times it's the best seat money can buy. They are spending money at the souvie booths. They probably marched. They live for drum corps.

If it makes people angry because it says on the ticket that you shouldn't do it, then I really think that they should lighten up. The person sitting over your shoulder isn't a threat to the cost of your DCI experience. They are probably spending more on the activity than you.

And I fully disagree with your second paragraph. I've been to over 10 finals as a Platinum Friends member, and over 10 before that at the Gold level. I *AM* the guy buying the best seats in the house. And in that many years I've never seen a person sitting in the Friend's Block - not a single one! - that recorded the show. Granted, it's impossible for me to see All of the people on the 50. But your connotation that "spending more on the activity" buys a pass for illegal behavior doesn't fly.

For information purposes - and it probably doesn't have a thing to prove a point - but, by a fluke of stupidity in 2009 I didn't order my tickets on time and ended up sitting on the 35. THIS is where I saw the video-taker. I will easily concede this point as unrelated to the central discussion of your point, but the coincidence does suggest the other side of the discussion:

Fans who DON'T spend to buy the best seats in the house are more likely to illegally video the show than those who pay top buck.

(Don't flame me - I reject this poster's entire point and this is only the other side of his argument.)

I am the die-hard fan. I spend LOTS of money on the activity. I have a full compliment of drum corps media in my study, including my recently purchased Legacy collection (!).

And I would NEVER, EVER consider video-taping a show.

I seriously doubt, and hereby challenge, your contention that "most" of us are the ones breaking the DCI rules and law.

Your justification is weak, at best.

This is what you said. If I may, to paraphrase, I should ignore the guy over my shoulder for video-taping the show because he's spending more on the activity than I am.

Care to elaborate?

Sure...What I'm saying and have said in several posts is that the people recording at DCI shows are usually the most dedicated supporters of the activity through purchasing tickets, souvies, DVD's, CD's, etc. They are drum corps junkies. What I wasn't saying is that there is some supreme philanthropic breakdown that measures the amount of money you spend on the activity to your ablity or rights to record at a DCI show. And that comment wasn't directed at you in particular, just the faction of people who hold your position about the recordings.

I'm not really sure what your beef with that guy is anyway.

I'm amazed at the people who have no humor in their lives at all.

Got plenty of humor in my life, Mike! (Two kids and a dog. Who can't have humor with that?) :rolleyes:

But I have had a disdain for people who think recording is innocent and doesn't hurt anybody.

I don't care if it's one DVD or 1000 that is NOT sold because of bootlegs. Boo confirmed that the result is money NOT going into the corps coffers. And for an activity that fights for funds, and a group of fans who lament not having ice-skating or super bowl funding, I'm stunned that so many here condone recording.

If you've ever run a corps, or hosted a show, you know that every $10 helps a LOT.

Got plenty of humor in my life, Mike! (Two kids and a dog. Who can't have humor with that?) :rolleyes:

But I have had a disdain for people who think recording is innocent and doesn't hurt anybody.

I don't care if it's one DVD or 1000 that is NOT sold because of bootlegs. Boo confirmed that the result is money NOT going into the corps coffers. And for an activity that fights for funds, and a group of fans who lament not having ice-skating or super bowl funding, I'm stunned that so many here condone recording.

If you've ever run a corps, or hosted a show, you know that every $10 helps a LOT.

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. However I didn't want to be too clear as to be viewed as a personal attack ...... :rolleyes:

And yes, I have done most of the tings you mentioned.