Pirated finals videos

I would submit as well that DCI has a vested interest in policing the copyrights on these performances, as they contain material licensed from a hundred different sources. If DCI can't prove they enforce these copyrights, music publishers may prove less willing to work with future licensing requests.

Mike

This is a good pooint... as much as I hate DCI and corps policing you tube... they need to do it to cover their own #####.

Or at least show an effort... show an effort is all they really need to do. When A video is removed it usually says why and who requested it to be removed.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, it's a separate issue. We need to make sure that "some institution" pays the content creator as well is all I'm saying. Like I said, a different topic.

I agree with this.

As a composer/arranger... we are basically shoved under the rug most of the time.. but it is a different subject...

Personally, if some performed one of my arrangements, or compositions, and put it on you tube, I would be extremely happy... as long as my name is on it some where. That is enough credit for me. But there are to many licenses involved in using someone else's stuff nowadays. But the whole world's economy/the way we do just about everything is ####ed up.... so, I digress.

I would have zero, zip, zilch, nil problem with it. I think the copyright laws are ridiculous where non-profits are concerned. I get that you shouldn't be able to record professionals who are performing for profit. That's their livelihood. But I think part of the quid-pro-quo for getting non-profit status should be that you don't get treated the same as for-profits do. Small devices for personal use should be a-ok. Personally, I wouldn't do it because I'm not one to go back and watch over-and-over (I don't even think I've watched any of the shows I marched in more than a couple times), but I do not care about others who do. And I would lay odds that allowing people to record on their own would have minimal effect on sales. Think about kids dance recitals. I've never run into one that you CAN'T bring your own camera, but video sales are through the roof.

Edited by LoveKathyG

I can't believe these two sentences were uttered consecutively. Are you aware that DCI discontinued the TV telecasts for lack of money?

As a matter of fact, no. (I stand corrected, thanks.) But when it was in later days, it was chopped beyond belief.

And exactly how much is enough?

OK, I really don't go into DCP that much anymore.

But from what I've read about the purists (I'm one) who don't like the direction of Drum Corps, we are met with, "hey turnout at shows is great and the activity is doing great".

So, hearing that, with the sales of DVD's, the Fan Network and other things, I assumed that DCI was in the black.

But this was posed as a question.

If DCI is suffering, maybe they should try to find out why.

Edited by kmansdrummin

I can't believe these two sentences were uttered consecutively. Are you aware that DCI discontinued the TV telecasts for lack of money?

To be fair, DCI discontinued the telecast on ESPN2 due to lack of funds.

Back in the day on PBS it was a pledge drive broadcast.

To be fair, DCI discontinued the telecast on ESPN2 due to lack of funds.

Back in the day on PBS it was a pledge drive broadcast.

Thanks Adam.

GO TENORS!!