2009 Drum books

they made em sound like yamahas..... im just sayin..

So they sound awesome? Yea! :rolleyes:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just saw the facebook vid. i am NOT a fan of the tuning on those pearls. they made em sound like yamahas..... snares are so poppy. dont really have any depth.

im just sayin..

So... would you prefer dynasty?

Paul and Sandi Rennick have found the winning formula at Phantom Regiment in my opinion. Every book since 2003 that they have written has been my favorite of the year.

2007 phantom regiment is the best percussion arranging this activity has every seen, IMO.

I also really like Lee Beddis at times. His writing has always seemed kind of quirky, and I like it. 2009 though, was a little over the top with notes.

Blue Devils have had a terrible book since like 2001. It is unmusical and too mathematical at times. Still have no idea how they won drums in 2007 or 2009. They play some absolutely FILTHY things in both of those shows. One of the most overated percussion section in DCI.

I would tend to agree about 2009 BD that one is a mystery I guess the whole show just turned me off big time but 2007 was in my opinion one of the best Blue Devil lines ever , that battery was just over the top , the snares imparticular their pit also was just stellar so I disagree with you on the 2007 show and agree with you on 2009 . There is absolutly noway that the Blue Devils deserved a score of 99.15 of course this my opinion only and I'm sure that I'm going to make some bd fans mad but thats ok I'm also a BD fan .

As far as Lee Beddis goes I love what he's done with Crown Lee is just plain off the hook !!

Paul & Sandi Rennick and Phantom I totally agree with you .

They were much improved in 2009 but not yet in the elite realm. Hopefully they will get there some day.

:smile:

SCV had an awesome book, imo. Look at more than just the snare parts. Also consider looking outside of the top 6. I really enjoyed Glassmen's book (even after they took out that speed-o-roll), Boston's book, and Troopers' book.

outside the top 6 whats that :smile:

not necessarily hahah

last time i liked yamaha tuning was on the 04 cavies drums (granted that the snares had double heads)

sounded really good.

I really enjoyed Cavaliers tuning the last few years, especially 08.

I have been listening to videos of mostly the top 6 corps drumline's from 09 and in my opinion I think it was one of the worst years for drum books. The Blue Devils kind of had a boring book, and so did Cavaliers. In my opinion crown and bluecoats had the best books in 09. Cadets kind of had a boring book and SCV well they couldnt do much because of their show. It might be the show the corp was doing and the music and not really allowing for a amazing book but I still think it could be more non-exercise like (BD). What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I agree with you on Bluecoats, and would also throw in Boston, SCV and Phantom. Disagree on Crown. Some good drumming, but nothing all the interesting. In fact, quite boring.

I agree with you on Bluecoats, and would also throw in Boston, SCV and Phantom. Disagree on Crown. Some good drumming, but nothing all the interesting. In fact, quite boring.

Exactly.