The Olympics and DCI's Popularity

I think we should promote the MARCHING ARTS. DCI, DCA, BOA, USSBA, and so on. What's the #1 thing you love about drum corps? It's not the brass sound. It's the people, relationships, leadership, performance, etc. Same for many of the highly competitive HS programs.

WE hardcore fans can maintain that distinction between HS bands and DCI. Why are there less corps? All those HS kids who would join the summer corps in the 70s are in their HS bands now. It's just a different structure. And we should be supportive and take advantage of all those layers. I don't think DCI does enough to gain support from HS students, but that may be another thread...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot, I wrote a musing in my doodle book back when I was marching that hypothesized a future in the activity where drum corps was included in the Olympics. Of course, since then, we've dropped over a hundred drum corps in the USA and have zero to negative growth Internationally as well.

While I agree that drum corps has negative growth in North America, Western Europe and Japan, it is rapidly growing in Southeast Asia, South Africa, and South America. In fact, the only continent without drum corps is Australia, but marching music is big there so it has the potential for development.

Marching music as a whole has global appeal. The question is how to turn that into a standardized, formal competition.

Apparently several rock bands were cut from the opening ceremony because of the luge death, they felt it would be disrespectful. The rumor is that all or most of those acts will bein the in the new... modified... closing ceremony.

which is sad because the Rush song picked, if true, couldn't be any more appropriate.

Closer To The Heart is actually the best song Rush could have played

In addition to the other good points that have been made, I think another difference is that drum corps is more of an art form than it is a sport. Sure, it requires a lot of physical fitness, but the type of excitement is just different than in most Olympic events.

For example, in Figure Skating, we follow select skaters and some of them have a "star-like" quality. This just doesn't exist in drum corps, which (other than the occasional featured performer) is created so that no individuals stand out from the ensemble. Also, when the "favorite" has a bad day and falls all over the place, his/her placement can be drastically affected. In drum corps, even when a corps has an "off" night, it doesn't mean the difference between 1st and 8th place. Both of these elements diminish excitement levels.

Also, the sports in the Olympics are much higher risk...The speed at which luge travels is incredible and the potential for serious injury in downhill skiing events is extremely high. These sorts of "thrills" are just not apparent in even the most challenging of drum corps shows.

Don't get me wrong - I am extremely proud of drum corps and it would be a dream for the activity to reach the level of the Olympics. I just recognize some inherent differences that prevent popularity from soaring.

IMO, certain corps are the stars in drum corps.

While I agree that drum corps has negative growth in North America, Western Europe and Japan, it is rapidly growing in Southeast Asia, South Africa, and South America. In fact, the only continent without drum corps is Australia, but marching music is big there so it has the potential for development.

Marching music as a whole has global appeal. The question is how to turn that into a standardized, formal competition.

I get the same reaction to " Drum Corps is growing in Southeast Asia, South Africa, South America" as I do to hearing that " Capitalism is growing in China, Russia, Lebanon ".

Meh..... If it ain't happening in Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA..., it ain't happening as far as I'm concerned.

I get the same reaction to " Drum Corps is growing in Southeast Asia, South Africa, South America" as I do to hearing that " Capitalism is growing in China, Russia, Lebanon ".

Meh..... If it ain't happening in Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA..., it ain't happening as far as I'm concerned.

Which was the underlying point that I was trying to make about American attitudes.

Television. Among the many reasons why drum corps and the Olympics aren't in the same category is the fact that drum corps doesn't translate well to television.

TV captures the essence of so many Olympic sports. TV merely dilutes the essence of drum corps. Until technology allows TV to capture more of the majesty of drum corps, it will remain confined to a niche defined in no small part by the short-comings of football halftime shows.

HH

Edited by glory

which is sad because the Rush song picked, if true, couldn't be any more appropriate.

Closer To The Heart is actually the best song Rush could have played

While true, it may also be that the bands, themselves, were uncomfortable with the prospect of performing in that situation. They may actually have agreed with organizers that it would be better, more appropriately celebratory, to perform at the closing ceremonies. There's a lot we don't know, so I'm reluctant to pass judgment.