DCI will never become MBI

MBI (Minnesota Brass Incorporated) is thankful that DCI will not be taking us over. :smile:

Sorry, go about your business...

Just ANOTHER reason to use the term

BCI = "Band Corps International".

It really does fit with what is being done, and will allow the groups that are members to remember their ROOTS, in BOTH "Band" and "Drum Corps"

And tells the TRUTH of what they ARE.

"BAND CORPS"

Edited by OldStyleCorps

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha marching band is nearly free?

maybe back in the old days but i know when i was in high school i spent close to 1000 bucks every season lol

oh how the times have changed.

yeah kids today in highly competitive programs have to fundraise their ##### off or pay to make up the shortage

You missed a few off the top of my head:

4 - WGI has a scholastic component with groups that receive school funding, or at least music department funding in most cases.

5 - Independent groups have much lower operating costs when compared to drum corps even at the lowest level.

Saying "just mirror the WGI operating model and DCI will survive" is pretty naive. I agree that regional circuits would be beneficial to the activity, but those require regional corps. People can complain that DCI killed local corps and overtook other circuits and even if that's true, what's done is done, for better or for worse. DCI will survive when more people successfully start new corps. DCI is starting to do a better job of facilitating this and offering guidance to new corps directors but you still need dedicated, intelligent and willing prospective corps directors. That's the key to the long-term sustainability of drum corps.

I think you'd be surprised how little funding many school units in WGI get from the school itself. many have to fundraise their ##### off or pay the difference

First, we need to verify the premise that these activities are growing. Indoor percussion probably is just because it came along relatively recently....it's winter guard I question.

I went to several winter guard shows 20 years ago, including a WGI championship. There were lots of guards, both independent and scholastic. There were lots of circuits at the local and regional levels in addition to WGI. The impression I got upon re-introduction to the guard activity a couple of years ago was that there are less guards, and definitely less circuits, in operation now. WGI may have similar numbers of guards at championships (haven't counted), but their other shows (i.e. regionals) seem much smaller.

I'm not willing to assume winter guard is "growing" without seeing data to support that claim.

I would say indoor on all levels is growing on the local levels. due to costs and other factors, WGI may not see the growth, plus WGI usually caps its events at a certain number of units due to logistics.

I know local indoor circuits around here ( TIA, Cavalcade and USSBA) seem to be growing. Granted USSBA just started it, and some units do two or all 3 of these circuits, but every year I see more and more names coming in...plus at the local level, some circuits also have dance ( which is really growing) and twirlers, which is still hanging on

Obviously, you've never been in such a situation.

As someone who has, it was far more physically demanding than anything I ever experienced in drum corps. It's not exactly like you can just take cover and 'stay put' in some instances.

Agreed, Sir
Once again, spoken like someone who's never done it. Believe me when I tell you that "reacting to indirect fire" can be a very physical thing. Anyone with military training will concur.

fair enough. I will concede to being 100% wrong. =)

fair enough. I will concede to being 100% wrong. =)

This is dcp....im pretty sure in the community guidelines somewhere it says you cant to that. I expect you to be banned any minute now...

Jeff and others, I think that is the key that Local circuits are growing. Someone mentioned how much it cost to travel, but YOU choose to travel. I understand thier may be higher competition in other area's but with so many local shows and unit its no longer necessary.

agreed. and let's be honest...WGI caps the number of units allowed in at some point due to logistics.

and travel is an issue, which is why there is no "true national" marching band circuit

yeah kids today in highly competitive programs have to fundraise their ##### off or pay to make up the shortage

Not at the high school I teach at. The kids pay nothing to be in the marching band. In fact, the music boosters even supply their marching shoes and their personal band jackets every year. I can't believe that any kids would ante up $1000 or more to be in a high school band. Who could rationalize those kind of fees? It isn't like they're having to feed and house kids during an eight week tour. High school band kids DO still go to school during the season, don't they? :tongue:

Edited by craiga

Not at the high school I teach at. The kids pay nothing to be in the marching band. In fact, the music boosters even supply their marching shoes and their personal band jackets every year. I can't believe that any kids would ante up $1000 or more to be in a high school band. Who could rationalize those kind of fees? It isn't like they're having to feed and house kids during an eight week tour. High school band kids DO still go to school during the season, don't they? :tongue:

you're lucky then. Some districts won't pony up a dime, so boosters and kids have to fund raise their ##### off.