Go to Lucas Oil Stadium!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You are putting words in my mouth. I never said you're not supporting the activity if you don't go to a show that is not in LOS. That's absurd. Hell, I live no where close to Indianapolis, why would I go there when Allentown is much closer? I am saying there are people here stating that they will no longer support DCI because of the move to LOS, which in my opinion, is a vein, selfish and quite frankly, dumb idea.

well...since DCI wants more and more events in domes, and people don't like drum corps in domes....i can see their point. And...not everyone has an Allentown close by. if you live in Western texas your option is San Antonio.

Not once did I say you had to come see me march, but if you are so inclined, please do so. Lord knows drum corps needs as much support as it can get. I'm putting this situation in perspective of the current marching members (at least the ones I've talked to). Finals is the accumulation of what we've been doing all summer and we want to share that with people. Coming on these forums seeing people say that they will no be attending finals is just...well disheartening.

Bottom Line: I'm over this "argument" or whatever you want to call it. Tried to voice my opinion and just got shot down, but that is life on DCP I suppose. Don't expect me to reply to this thread if you come up with some rebuttal to my opinions.

ya know what...people would like to see you...where they can hear you.

I'm sure it sucks for the kids. But you want people to pay good money to see drum corps in an environment that sucks for drum corps. And paying fans go for their own experience, not yours.

well...since DCI wants more and more events in domes, and people don't like drum corps in domes....i can see their point. And...not everyone has an Allentown close by. if you live in Western texas your option is San Antonio.

Right now, it's actually cheaper for me to go to San Antonio for a regional than it is to go to Denver.

Right now, it's actually cheaper for me to go to San Antonio for a regional than it is to go to Denver.

then enjoy the dome

Just to go against my friend up there... I know of plenty of people who performed with a corps, or band who did not like the experience. The crowd is very quiet, and the sound just dies on the field. Everything around you sounds muffled, and it is hard to hear the people around you. It was actually really freaky.. didn't cause any performance issues, but it just felt different. It was different than SA and Atlanta... and it was different than any outside experience. But it was just dead. I didn't like performing there just as much as I didn't like viewing. But if an audience won't enjoy my performance because of the stadium, then what is the point? I've said it before.. and I'll say it again.. DCI ####ed up. Maybe they are saving some money... but for the quality of performance sake... which I would put as a higher need, they dropped the ball.

Funny thing... I know a TON of people who HATE performing in Allentown. Track puts the audience further away... and then add in that it is a TOUGH CROWD. If they don't like you, you know. Lol. I personally love that stadium, and love performing there.

Not once did I say you had to come see me march, but if you are so inclined, please do so. Lord knows drum corps needs as much support as it can get. I'm putting this situation in perspective of the current marching members (at least the ones I've talked to). Finals is the accumulation of what we've been doing all summer and we want to share that with people. Coming on these forums seeing people say that they will no be attending finals is just...well disheartening.

This, like any other fan site, is full of the entire gamut of fans and their feelings. It is disheartening to you to know that hard core fans of this activity are avoiding finals because of the dome. I know that. But a vast majority of those same fans are going to bend over backward to see a show (or 2, or 3...) in a venue they prefer. They'll buy your corps' souvies, they'll probably send some money to one or more corps via websites and fundraisers, and a lot of them will volunteer, or provide a meal, or bring ice cream, or do something else to show some love to the drum corps activity.

So, put it all in a much broader perspective than just the marching members. If you do that, you might realize that it is out of love for this activity that so many are voicing an opinion so vehemently about the venue for Champs week. Some of those people voicing this opinion are the same ones who might be on your cook truck for a week.

Jeff: Love ya and all... but I've just gotta call you out for this. Your assertion that "people just don't like drum corps in domes" is patently false. San Antonio and Atlanta are among the top three or four best attended shows of the year for each of the past several years. Perhaps you should stop to consider that there are other factors in play besides "DCI wants more and more events in domes."

Jeff: Love ya and all... but I've just gotta call you out for this. Your assertion that "people just don't like drum corps in domes" is patently false. San Antonio and Atlanta are among the top three or four best attended shows of the year for each of the past several years. Perhaps you should stop to consider that there are other factors in play besides "DCI wants more and more events in domes."

I absolutely believe your statistics, but are those shows well attended because the shows are in a dome, or because you generally have every wc corps in the same place (maybe 1 or 2 exceptions)? Obviously there is no way to prove either answer, but I would guess that the draw of having 95% of the dci wc lineup is what makes those numbers so high, considering there are not many alternatives if you want to see every corps on the same night (or two - such as allentown and dallas / houston)...