Philanthropy Strategy Re: Woodwinds

... (much to the detriment of my wife - she wishes to leave these assets to other charities)....

I suspect the word you're looking for here isn't "detriment," but "consternation."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect the word you're looking for here isn't "detriment," but "consternation."

I was thinking "P.O.-ness of my wife"..... :blink:

People have left money to Cats, Dogs, Foundations, and all manner of things they felt needed thier money or would use the money in a way they wanted it to be used. Saying some sucks because if things change they won't leave them money is like me telling you what to have for dinner.

What should I have for dinner?

Dry white toast.

I've built the financial side of many, many estate plans that leave assets to particular entities and I always bring up the beneficiaries in annual reviews to see if the donor still feels the same. Only three have ever changed the beneficiary.

I say Heck Yes, if they tick you off don't leave them a nickel.

But remember that it won't matter a whit to them unless you tell them (officially and legally) before you die that they are in your will. I'm quite sure that if you set up a Charitable Remainder Trust naming them beneficiary of several million dollars they'd probably give your wishes deference. Then, if you pull it away, it actually means something to them.

Agree with Garfield completely. Tell 'em you made the gift and tell 'em the condition -- if the condition's important enough to you to place it on the gift, that's your decision. Some might agree, others not. My guess is that unless you're talking about an incredibly large sum of money, it won't force a change, especially since the reward for not allowing woodwinds will hopefully not come until sometime way in the future -- i.e., either your death or you and your wife's death. For me to be swayed by a promise of some reward in the future, the distant future, in an amount I can't guarantee, doesn't seem to be a game-changer. I'd just run my organization the best way I can and run the activity the best way I can and hope for the best - and probably for every person who chooses not to give on their deathbed there may be someone else who will.

Now - a 'boycott' of current giving that corps depend on would make a difference, I think.

While I might not agree with your opinion about conditioning the gift on no woodwinds, it's your money - and who are we to tell you not to put that condition on? It happens all the time that people support an organization and then choose to stop supporting it because they don't approve of the policies of the organization or the direction it's taking. I've done that myself with organizations whose policies and practices no longer fit my world view so I vote with my wallet.

Nothing irrational at all about this - but I question whether the approach will actually work or have the desired effect.