The REAL(ish) Return of Star

Just have to laugh at all the newbies (youngin's) here that never got to hear/see Star when they were around, yet mock them by saying they were overrated. Too funny... lol

Wow. Dude, I'm 41! I was in the stands to see that show and I thought it was just..... boring. :worthy:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if I respected your opinion, I'd still say the Emperor was stark naked that year. No amount of Kool-Aid could ever make me buy into that show as anything other than a pretentious, self-indulgent, mess.

Again, I'm totally with you!! :worthy:

Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but can someone explain to me the 'hype' that continues to surround this corp ? I am not a 'newbie' or a rookie and I was there to witness the beginning, the rise and end of this corp... and I am from Indiana, to boot... they came, they went... now, if it was the Blue Devils, Santa Clara, Phantom, the Cadets or (insert name of drum corp with a long and storied history here)... well, different story... clearly I am missing something here...

Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but can someone explain to me the 'hype' that continues to surround this corp ? I am not a 'newbie' or a rookie and I was there to witness the beginning, the rise and end of this corp... and I am from Indiana, to boot... they came, they went... now, if it was the Blue Devils, Santa Clara, Phantom, the Cadets or (insert name of drum corp with a long and storied history here)... well, different story... clearly I am missing something here...

My guess is that the thing you missed the cut, and now you're just a bitter little Hoosier...but, of course, that's just a guess.

Wow... I DO have a sense of humor and that truly was a funny shot... :worthy: good guess, but no, didn't miss the cut (better luck next time to you... ) :worthy:

So again, any intelligent replies explaining the 'halo' effect surrounding Star ?

Seriously, Brian, what answer are you looking for?

They came out of nowhere, they won Finals, and then they left in a very strange way at nearly the top of the game. That, alone, makes them unusual.

Phantom was one of the corps you cited. Do you realize (and I'm sure you do) that even with their wonderful and colorful history, they never won Finals until after this corps had been formed, won, and left?

They did some mighty amazing things in a mighty short time. For awhile, I also thought that their corporate sponsorship model might really take root, but sadly that hasn't happened. And when they were good, they were very, very good.

Think about Hollywood stars, or truly spectacular athletes that have been taken from us in their prime. Decades later, that's the reaction you see to Star: they were very good (very quickly), and they had so much future promise, and then they were gone. Hence, the fascination.

No more; no less. And your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

Karen

Wow... I DO have a sense of humor and that truly was a funny shot... :worthy: good guess, but no, didn't miss the cut (better luck next time to you... ) :worthy:

So again, any intelligent replies explaining the 'halo' effect surrounding Star ?

I'm going to guess the initials "DVD" have something to do with it

A few things:

Coming out of the gate at such a high level and making 10th in their first year on tour...mostly with corps rookies.

Continually improving in performance, programming, and placement.

The legendary horn lines (90...mmmmm).

Leaving at the top of the activity instead of the more traditional long, painful slide into oblivion like 27th, Bridgemen, Kingsmen, etc,

Not sure it's been said yet .. but based on the Star United mini corps that competes in DCA ... the return of those finely trained musicians... and this being what some consider a corps of the modern/golden age of drum corps ...... I wouldn't expect to see alot of standing still and boring drill.

Madison's history reaches back much further than Star's, for that very reason I thought the Scouts had a very appropriate and well executed alumni visual performance. But, I don't think anyone will expect what Star will bring. I'm stoked!!

I do believe it is time for the Star of Indiana Alumni Corps hype to begin.

Personally, I'm excited to hear their closer (Medea from the infamous '93 show) live :worthy:

OK.

With the design team Star Alumni Corps has, they will clearly win DCI with a score of 119.05.