The REAL(ish) Return of Star

You should replace "REAL(ish)" with "real(ISH)" to emphasize the fact that some of the members have never marched on the DCI field under the name of Star of Indiana. Has any other corps that has done a similar alumni performance also pulled from affiliated groups and other corps to fill their ranks? And in this case they even have people whose only connection is with the post-DCI professional (paid) performing groups. I thought the point would be that everyone in the alumni performance would be alumni of the corps (even if the quality or velocity of the performance had to suffer some for it)! Silly me!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't WANT to see a repeat of the '93 show, drill-or music-wise. They have plenty of other recognizable repertoire to draw from.

Based on what I've been told by a reliable source, I can say you won't be disappointed. They're playing much more than Medea.

Even if I respected your opinion, I'd still say the Emperor was stark naked that year. No amount of Kool-Aid could ever make me buy into that show as anything other than a pretentious, self-indulgent, mess.

Did you see the show? If you did, you could never make that statement. I have seen shows for almost 40 years and have never (even to this day) seen a better executed show. They were a machine. I still get "goosebumps" and tear up when I think about that show. I seriously cry whenever I hear the last notes of the show as this was the last time they would ever be heard on a competitive drum corps field.

You should replace "REAL(ish)" with "real(ISH)" to emphasize the fact that some of the members have never marched on the DCI field under the name of Star of Indiana. Has any other corps that has done a similar alumni performance also pulled from affiliated groups and other corps to fill their ranks? And in this case they even have people whose only connection is with the post-DCI professional (paid) performing groups. I thought the point would be that everyone in the alumni performance would be alumni of the corps (even if the quality or velocity of the performance had to suffer some for it)! Silly me!

Both the 27th Lancers and Kingsmen alum corps had people who had never been affiliated with either corps in their competitive days. Other alum corps like Madison, SCV, Cavies, and BD (everyone forgets the BD one in 07) chose to allow only those who had marched witht he competitive corps (including the feeders in SCV and BD's case).

It is not for anyone not involved with the Star alum corps to say who they will and will not allow in. The Star organization through the years has considered Blast! cast members part of the Star family, even if they never marched Star itself.

Likewise, when the Star alums needed numbers (and trust me....it's a bear getting people to commit), they opted to allow non-alums in who had the same musical training under Van Doren...again....THEIR choice.

How about some people quite complaining about who's in and just enjoy??? I remember the thrill of being a Blue Devil again, even it only for an all too short standstill....let's allow the Star Alum members the same chance.

to answer your question, to my knowledge, at least 3 corps that have performed as alumni corps at DCI had members that were not alumni...and I may be low on that.

however, if you get technical, Blast is part of the Star organization, so in a way, they are alumni

Madison and Cavaliers were "alumni only." I believe SCV and BD were as well.

27th, Bridgemen, and Kingsmen alumni had performers who were not members of the corps when they were active.

I think Star Alum is open to members of Star, Brass Theatre, and Blast!

Big deal. I'm interested in the performance, not the performers.

Edited by vferrera

Blast! has only been the paid group(for which they deserve every penny they earned)....by the way NUMEROUS members of Blast! have come from other corps!

From the guard standpoint...we have 40 ladies performing and 2 of those 40 come from Brass Theater(never stepped on the field)....great talent and great ladies and they know exactly what they are taking on by stepping on to the field with the corps...the good AND the bad...and yet they are still choosing to do this . Insane right?? Afterall who in their right mind would participate in something they didn't do that receives as much hate comments as Star does. Proof these Brass, Blast! and SU alums are just as insane as the corps alums :)

Stars drive for excellence didn't end with the corps....it was expected in Brass Theater(great stage show), Blast!(2 Tonys), and now Star United(4-peat champs). SO if these people CHOOSE to be apart of the original group experience...who has the right to say no.....YOU??

Yes, the Anaheim Kingsman...