The REAL(ish) Return of Star

OK.

With the design team Star Alumni Corps has, they will clearly win DCI with a score of 119.05.

Oh come now, clearly it will be at least 200.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things:

Coming out of the gate at such a high level and making 10th in their first year on tour...mostly with corps rookies.

Continually improving in performance, programming, and placement.

The legendary horn lines (90...mmmmm).

Leaving at the top of the activity instead of the more traditional long, painful slide into oblivion like 27th, Bridgemen, Kingsmen, etc,

Didn't they have quite a few Pride of Cincinnati and 27th Lancers people too?

Didn't they have quite a few Pride of Cincinnati and 27th Lancers people too?

someone else would have to confim having 27 members in 85 but we did have some 27 join in 87 and 88 after they folded following 86 finals. Yes to Pride in 85, Stars DM and drummers came from Bridgemen in 85! Majority of the corps were newbies to this activity.

Edited by Joelle

someone else would have to confim having 27 members in 85 but we did have some 27 join in 87 and 88 after they folded following 86 finals. Yes to Pride in 85, Stars DM and drummers came from Bridgemen in 85!

Oh yea, that's right. It was Pride and Bridgemen.

Does anyone know if Nicole Feliciano or John Ford is doing the alumni corps?

Seriously, Brian, what answer are you looking for?

They came out of nowhere, they won Finals, and then they left in a very strange way at nearly the top of the game. That, alone, makes them unusual.

Phantom was one of the corps you cited. Do you realize (and I'm sure you do) that even with their wonderful and colorful history, they never won Finals until after this corps had been formed, won, and left?

They did some mighty amazing things in a mighty short time. For awhile, I also thought that their corporate sponsorship model might really take root, but sadly that hasn't happened. And when they were good, they were very, very good.

Think about Hollywood stars, or truly spectacular athletes that have been taken from us in their prime. Decades later, that's the reaction you see to Star: they were very good (very quickly), and they had so much future promise, and then they were gone. Hence, the fascination.

A few things:

Coming out of the gate at such a high level and making 10th in their first year on tour...mostly with corps rookies.

Leaving at the top of the activity instead of the more traditional long, painful slide into oblivion like 27th, Bridgemen, Kingsmen, etc,

OK I'm going to die for saying this...and before I do I'd like to say I am a HUGE Beatles fan...

...but does this make Star the Beatles of the drum corps world?

:worthy:

Oh yea, that's right. It was Pride and Bridgemen.

Does anyone know if Nicole Feliciano or John Ford is doing the alumni corps?

I marched with Nicole...great gal! Did a quick search on our website and her name didn't pop up....she may not even know this is happening. Same for John...do you know when he marched?

A few things:

And add to that, the continued effect their alumni and former staff continue to have on the activity (especially in the brass area)

Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but can someone explain to me the 'hype' that continues to surround this corp ? I am not a 'newbie' or a rookie and I was there to witness the beginning, the rise and end of this corp... and I am from Indiana, to boot... they came, they went... now, if it was the Blue Devils, Santa Clara, Phantom, the Cadets or (insert name of drum corp with a long and storied history here)... well, different story... clearly I am missing something here...

IMO, the hype is a little bit two-fold.

On one hand, as others have mentioned, they had quick success and never looked back after their history-making first season. They went from "who's Star of Indiana?" in June of 85 when they first came out, to "DCI World Champion Star of Indiana" in just six seasons, then maintaining Top 3 their last two years. They were always well designed and performed, and had the kind of quick success that most corps' could only dream of.

Add to that the fact that they left the competitive arena after losing DCI for the second time by only a .1 with a design that completely changed the way shows were designed. They're now an almost mythical entity, and I would suspect that the same people who lavish praises on them now were the same people deriding them in the 90's (for the record, I'm one of those people; I didn't "get" their 93 show that season on other than appreciating the precision of their execution. Years after the fact, it was obvious that they revolutionized design and I can totally appreciate and love their design). Just like VK (whom I think are truly over hyped), I think many people look through rose colored glasses and focus only on the great things while ignoring previous issues had with the corps. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it happens.

I marched with Nicole...great gal! Did a quick search on our website and her name didn't pop up....she may not even know this is happening. Same for John...do you know when he marched?

John Ford marched in '86 and or '87 on contra euph...

That's too bad. I don't know if she is still in Columbus, Ohio or not. It's been a long time since I have seen her.