Items left on the field during ageout night

The other day I was talking to some friends who had recently aged out and eventually the discussion veered towards what items they had left on the field during the age out ceremony. I was wondering, does anyone know what happens to the items that are left on the field during age out night? do they go thrown in the garbage afterwards, or does DCI collect them and store them all somewhere?

I know some folks that have left letters on the field. Wouldn't it have been great if someone had archived them. To be able to suggest to someone who doesn't "get" drum corps that they can read age-out letters and see how it shapes young adults. That would be priceless.

Edited by AlanAndreasen

So, ive never marched so I probably wont understand till I tryout to march, but why do yall leave your stuff on the field? Wouldnt you want to keep some memorbilia?

I haven't marched either, but I would say it is a tradition.

Good morning -

Traditionally an age-out member leaves his/her shoes on the field following their last performance. One of the most poignant moments I still recall was the first year Pacific Crest came out to Pacific Procession - it was their last show of season. The sight of the many age-out shoes was very touching. Another one was the first year Star left DCI and performed their stage show in Boston. At the end of the evening, as everyone left, I noticed several pairs of shoes on the stage floor. These dedicated members stayed with Star even though it meant they wouldn't march their age-out year.

Finally, I wrote an article on aging-out featuring Jersey Surf cymbal Peggy Smires. With her permission, her entire letter was reprinted.

In the past, there use to be a lot of letters, but now a days, many members don't even know about the tradition and there's typically only 2 or 3 left on the field. I do hope members feel compelled to write again. You never know...

Mav

DCI comes around with giant trash bags and goes "are you done with these things? *points to objects on the ground* and when you say "yes" they toss them in the bag.

I left my dotbook and some corps specific stuff.

Some people definitely leave shoes... can't leave them if you are marching the next night though.

Thought about leaving my hat, but didn't. I wore it both years I marched. Decided it was too expensive to toss though, and I have since worn it more, and it has great memories, so I'm glad I kept it.

So, ive never marched so I probably wont understand till I tryout to march, but why do yall leave your stuff on the field? Wouldnt you want to keep some memorbilia?

The best way to explain the tradition would be to understand what people give up to march. Whether you march 1, 3, 5, or- dare I say- 7 years in DCI, you give up a lot of things you could otherwise being doing. You give up your summers, your weekends, a LOT of $$$, and in many instances, the health of your knees. After experiencing something that touches you as much as living and performing with your adopted family for months on end, the activity shapes who you are and what you will become in the future. Leaving something on the field after your last performance ever is a way to say that you're leaving a little part of yourself on that field, and no matter how much you wish you could continue having those experiences, you are done. Forever.

Its a way to recognize that a very significant chapter in your life has come to an end, and I'm sure that anyone who has aged out will back me up on that.

I met an age out one time who fully intended to march DCA the following year and he wasn't about to leave anything on the field.